Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

never had an active?? low end?? help??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 29, 2005.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i play in a band in which the guitar player tunes c-g-c-f-a-c and some our old songs i had bass with this tuning so there's some emphasis on some parts with the low C. i went back to standard tuning and since then all of our new songs i wrote around the frequencies of standard tuning and haven't had any problems. but now when we play some of our old stuff it sounds really weak. we recently got signed and im pretty sure at least some of those old songs are gonna be on the recording. so my question is if i buy an active bass can i boost the lows to make up for the difference in tuning on those songs? i've borrowed a friends five string and i dont hate it but i would like to stick with a four string if at all possible. been looking at a g&l l2000 or an ernie ball stingray. thoughts please?

2. Definatly more guts with active,Especially on the bottom.My humble 2 cents

3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    bump

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Another option is restring your bass B-E-A-D (ala Tim Commerford), or buy a bass of your choice (active or passive) and string it that way for use on the old songs. That way you could switch back and forth when you play live.

If your playing in standard tuning the lowest 'C' you have available is an octave higher than when you tuned to 'C'.

IMHO, trying to boost frequencies the bass isn't producing isn't the best approach.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Active electronics won't make or break a sound. It's more in the bass itself and the player who plays it. (There's also a big difference between different actives, how the preamps are voiced and what control you have over the tone-shaping.)

One suggestion would be to try and string a bass BEAD, with the appropriate string gagues (i.e. ~.130 for the B), and not just detune your regular set of strings. Having a 35" scale could definitely help, as well as having a bass with tight lows and a good low-mid punch such as a Stingray or Cirrus (and maybe G&L, I haven't played any).

Lows are best boosted by the mixing engineer in the studio, or by the soundman when playing live. Leave the controls alone in those situations.

EDIT: I type too slowly.