1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never Know - Leo's Sports Bar - Pittsburgh, PA

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by City, Nov 7, 2019.

1. City

City Supporting Member

IMG_3086[1].JPG Well, here goes...sorry no food pics, I didn't eat..and no driving pics...forgot about it. A little about ourselves and what has transpired over the years. Never Know formed about 7 years ago and had a decent two year run playing smaller local establishments in and around Pittsburgh. We were running sound and lights from stage, ie. not really a show. I, yes a bassist, so what do you expect, was running the sound from stage.

Seven years ago we were all pretty green, I had experience in the local bar gig stuff, and used those contacts. We had got to the point where I was fed up with doing the majority of the work, and I laid it on the line, we start renting sound companies and lighting, or I'm gone. As you can imagine, the band dissolved, but on friendly terms. We have kept in touch. Our vocalist keyboardist over time landed with a regional tribute band and has been successful behind the keys and providing backing vocals, but gaining experience and contacts, our drummer has been in a successful original band playing in and around Pittsburgh. I've stayed busy in various projects.

Well Singer guy contacts us and say, reunion. We are all game, find a lead guitarist we all knew, and played a successful, kinda gig, about 5 months ago. This lit the fire. Now we all have our main bands so this "project" would be about 4-5 gigs a year. This past weekend we hit it with a good sound and light company. Live streams and such. We garnered 200 likes on Facebook in about 3 days right before and during the gig. Pretty proud of that. Anyhow without much further ado, here are some photos. Oh we hired a photographer as well. Hoping this lays some groundwork. So in closing, keep those contacts open, keep in contact with your old musician friends. And put on a killer show. IMG_3088[1].JPG IMG_3095[1].JPG IMG_3087[1].JPG IMG_3100[1].JPG IMG_3102[1].JPG IMG_3101[1].JPG

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @City,

Yes! Sometimes it's fun putting the band back together. I'm glad you had a good show. It is a lot more enjoyable when you're not running everything and you can just play.

Where was this shindig?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Bunk McNulty, pcake and Beersurgeon like this.
  3. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Sweet story of getting the band back together and your pictures show a awesome time! Congrats on getting back on stage!!

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    great story, good pics.

got any video of the show?

5. City

City Supporting Member

We had this at a place called Leo's Sports Bar in Tarentum, PA, which is north of Pittsburgh about 15 miles. From what I see, those people up there still love their rock and roll. Please was long and narrow. The width of the stage plus 10 feet maybe, then expanded in the back. So it was tough to tell how many people were actually there, until the end of the night, when the doorman delivered the goods. We had a good $ night, even after paying sound/lights and photographer. A happy night for all. Our original rhythm guy is pulling out so we are pulling in another fine singer/guitarist. Like you Cliff, you suddenly make these contacts that you can call, and they are excited about a gig, even if it is 4-5 a year. Peace.

6. City

City Supporting Member

Yes, I will see if I can load .... EDIT....there are some out there in MOV base, but when I tried to load, site said it was an not allowed...maybe too big. Two songs on each which pushes up the MB count. I will contemplate a resolve

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Sore Thumb, McG, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  7. That band looks fun!
    What songs does that sax man play??

8. City

City Supporting Member

He is multi-talented, can play drums too. He added sax to "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum. Let's it blow. It really adds to the song. Want to add more sax, but not sure where to go.

9. My GF would flip if she heard Runaway Train live -ESPECIALLY with added sax!! Wow!
    Incidentally we saw Soul Asylum live for a unplugged SXSW event and were quite surprised when they chose to play Black Gold instead of R train.
    maybe they were trying to get new milage on that song. :)
    Talented singer and musician however.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Nice, it looks like you guys have Vinnie Collaiuta on drums.

index.

11. City

City Supporting Member

Vinnie has more hair...lol. and wears a shirt. Our guy, not so much.

12. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Very cool deal! :cool:

An MB500 through a Genzler Bass Array. That's gotta be a sweet sounding rig. :thumbsup:

I'd like to see some video too.

Upload to YouTube, then paste the URL in a post. Eazy Peazy :)

Sore Thumb and City like this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Red pants on the singer and a shirtless drummer, gotta be a hot band. lol
    Thanks for posting.

14. Love a happy ending story....

15. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a way better set up than most of the sports bars around here!
    Love it, thanks for sharing. Runaway Train...always wanted to do that.

16. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Really cool pics and story! Rock on Sir!

17. City

City Supporting Member

All these youtube videos....try this direction to the sound company's videos

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  18. SacRush

SacRush Supporting Member

Kick butt breakdown at 6:40! Awesome gig story.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That was some Rockin' stuff! Even a nice bass spotlight. :)

Sore Thumb likes this.