1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never Leave Your Big Boxer Dog In a Tiled Room Alone With Your Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lowenduser, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Just had a heart stopping moment with my Ibanez 5 string. Was sitting in the dining area just off the kitchen, going through the usual - scales, songs, blah blah. Phone goes off. Off goes the amp. Un leash the bass. Place it on the stand, and promptly go to the hallway to answer the phone.

Thirty seconds later, I hear a crash.... phone goes down, and looked into the other room. there was the bass lying face down on the tiled floor with dog sniffing it. (He has been recently getting more and more curious about the basses)

In a panic, I finished the call, looked at the bass. Nothing hanging off, and nothing at right angles. Plugged it in. Working. Tone and volume knobs working fine, and even still more or less in tune. (b string a bit flat, but hey).

*phew*. Another thorough examination, and appeared ok.

Lesson: Do not practice in a tiled kitchen/dining/tv room when nosey dogs are about. If you have to, do not leave bass unattended with aformentioned dog. If you didn't have a heart condition beforehand, you would certainly ease yourself into one quite quickly.

Actually, while Im thinking of it, Is there anything Im overlooking? Just have images of something stupid happening like it going out of tune by looking at it, or strings start snapping or something as a result!

2. Don't worry I've done something similar. At home I usually use the front room as a practice room. One night I went out of the room to answer my mobile and left my bass propped up against the wall (yeah, stupid I know). I stodd just outside the door and took my call. Next thing I knew I heard a clanging crash noise.
    The cause? One of my two Westies had come in and started chewing the strap, pulling it off the wall and bringing it to the ground. I assumed she was asleep when I began practicing...big mistake!

3. your probably fine, although it is a ibanez...lol
    I've seen worse happen and they still play great, just go over it and wiggle some stuff and make sure everything is still attached.

4. wms

wms

Apr 2, 2007
    Notts, UK
    Hey, could have been worse; the dog could have passed judgement on your playing by widdling over the bass!!

5. I quite possibly could have sent several people running to the toilet when I plug my bass in, but the dog seems to appreciate my playing (well, at best he shows a total dis-interest when I plug it in)!! lol

6. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I thought you were going to say the dog was chewing on the neck or something when you came in :p

At least its still fine and it plays :bassist:

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've got an old HH Bass Machine head - it was my first amp, which I bought from the guitarist of my first real band. He owned a pitbull, which had taken a liking to the amp, and would sit and chew the platic corners of the amp (the dog not the guitarist - keep up!).

Most amps would have been destroyed by this treatment, but the HH is so heavy and bombproof, there are a few marks on the corner.

By comparison my cats took an interest in my Hartke Kickback - Why do they cover amps in the same material as scratching posts!!! One of my cabs has suffered this fate too...

Ian

8. I've a 20 year old 30w prctice amp at home. There's corners off it and rips on the back and has been in backs of vans & cars on the bumpiest of journeys. And it still works!! It's only in the last month or so it's started slightly buzzing!

EDIT: I think the years of accumulated stickers on it are keeping it in one piece

9. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Yeh my cat hasn't figured it out yet.. he still uses the couch

I think the lessons are A) don't leave your basses on a stand in a tiled area with young kids or pets around B) Teach your cats to scratch everything else except carpeted surfaces, problem solvered :D

10. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Untill they start scratching your bass... (which isn't carpeted... unless you're ZZ-top)

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I have a boxer, and for some reason he is really behaved without us having even taught him much. He won't touch my basses/guitars. He's awesome. I'm gonna go hug him right now.

12. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Its an Ibanez youll be fine, but may I just say this... DUH!!

13. I have a studio at my house and two black labs (Conan & Stewie) Stewie, (the 125lb big one:eek: ) likes to hang out in the studio when the band or I are practiceing. He never bothered any thing until last month. I too went to answer the phone in the other room. When I got back he had chewed through two mike cables on the drum set:rolleyes: . I ended up buying new cables for our drummer.:bawl:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021