Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Never leavnig my studio again...send food and water

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Justyn, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Two recent acquisitions have led me to believe that there is the very real possibility that I may never leave my little studio again. First off, the wife bought me the Boss GT-6B for my 30th birthday. It'll be months before I fully understand everything this thing can do. I haven't even gotten past the presets yet (get this...many of them are usable).

Then, when it looked like my DL4 might be acting up, I decided to sell off some of the now-obsolete pedals I had in order to afford another looping device (see my other thread for more on that). Along came a used Boomerang + for pretty much exactly what I'd just made from selling my pedals and though it wasn't the Echoplex I dream of owning one day, a read of the new features in the + suggested it was the right device at the right time.

And it was. Oh how it was. The current setup is now GT-6B into DL4 into Boomerang and if I can ever remember to hit 'Record' on my little iBook I'll have tracks galore in no time.

The real beauty of having the Rang now is that I can take full advantage of the range of delay effects available on the DL4.

Well, okay the real real beauty is that all of this stuff was paid for without going into debt, but besides that, the real beauty is that I can now indulge my deep-seated to devotion to delay with the DL4 and let the Rang take care of the looping. I'm very impressed with the Rang. It's not dissimmilar to the DL4 in how it operates and the new improvements in the version 2 hardware have made it a pretty potent device that fits my needs to a tee. Again, I keep saying this, but a full review will follow just as soon as I delve into the manual and take alook at everything this can do.

Furthermore, it dawned on me that if I've been neglecting the tenor saxophone I've had since junior high and which I played up through high school even while the bass was getting it's claws into my soul and with the newfound looping freedom (and the addition of a microphone and a mixer) the possibilities have just doubled.

It's just been one of those nights when everything I've kind of been delving into musically has come together in a way that holds almost limitless possibilities, the most important being to make me grin from ear to ear as often as possible.

Just wanted to share.

Time to get back to it...I've had a dub line that would make Jah Wobble proud looping for about fifteen minutes now while I type this and the Little Dog is sighing heavily from the other room in a manner which I've learned to interpret as either 'feed the dog' or 'do something with that freaking loop or I'll savage your socks.'

Cheers,
    j.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    heyhey!

sounds like you've got a great set up there - I'll be really interested to hear about your experiences with the Boomerang. As I said, it's never done it for me, but I know so many people who dig it, that it's clearly a preferential thing.

Now, don't forget to come up for air once in a while - your music room will smell like a dog's bed if you just sit in there all day... :D

I've just wired up my system in stereo, so I'm having lots of fun with panning loops all over the place... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net