Never Say Never - Carvin Cyclops -> Redeye!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Well, just when I was finally satisfied with my Cyclops and exactly how I was going to wire it for my upcomming show (did I mention butterflys in my stomach?) when what I wanted so long ago kind of fell in my lap.

I have just made a deal to change out my Cyclops for the Redeye Combo with the 1x18 ext cab.

MikeD you mentioned that the 18" driver is only 4 ohms right? I seem to remember something like that! That should be okay for me since I always Biamp anyways...

I am happy that I finally got the exact amp I was looking for. Versatility!!! Now I bet many of you are happy that I will shut up about it. :eek: The deal is essentially the redeye & 18 for $705 and I am selling the Cyclops and my Peavey 2x15 to help recover the cost. The $500 savings over buying new was too much to pass up for me! :D
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    As far as I know the built in speaker enclosure on the Red Eye combo is 4 ohms too so that should be fine.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Congrats, Gabu! Yeah - if it's the same 1x18 as I have, it's 4 ohms. As you say, it's a more flexible or versatile setup than the other combo. If you find that it isn't loud enough while bi-amping, then give serious thought to running full-range. That way, the 10s help cover the low-mid frequencies. If the rig is in good shape, that's a lot of amp for the money. The RC210 combo is nicely designed, too. It's very portable, sounds good, and I like having the tilt-back option. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
    - Mike
  4. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey Brooks, congrats. I'm glad you finally got what your looking for. You've been talking about that since I joined this board. :D

I just added a cab to my Rc210 a few weeks ago so now i'm set for a long time to come. I found a Trace Elliot 4x10 in great shape. That combined with someone over at Carvin telling me the correct jacks to plug into :rolleyes:, i'm rockin' now. I'd love to hear the rumble from your 18, but my 6 tens do nicely.

good luck with it.

5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    If a cyclops has two eyes, is it a bicyclops?
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i believe the cyclops part refers to the single horn/tweeter thing. thats all
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Cyclops has one eye. And Mikey has one "i".
    - Mike
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Do you already have a buyer for your 2x15? If not, PM me.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hey! Are yoo saying I don't no how to spel?

10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Nice Brooks, I run the same thing. Though many people like to dismiss all 18's as muddy, I don't find their 18 to be muddy at all. I think a lot of that depends on the bass, electronics, and signal chain too, but it's a decent 18.

The 2x10 alone sounds nice, and the rig sounds even better with the 18 in the mix, lots of punch.
  11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Congratulations!!! I've always liked Carvin Gear, but I didn't like the cyclops. I'm sure the 2-10 and 1-18
    will sound great. Keep us posted.