never seen a posting on this famous bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i was on another bass site today and i was browsing around and seen many postings on Gene Simmons from KISS,and after a few moments i realized i have never EVER seen any postings or threads about him.I am no big fan of his by any means,but do think he was important and influential bassist of our era.I was checking out some of his bass lines for some of my more favorite songs by kiss and could'nt help but notice they were'nt all that complex,but were still solid non-the less.I know he had that axe looking bass,anyone know any specs pertaining to it ? and did he lite your bass fire in any way ? just curous if he made any pro-found impact on anyone that was longlasting(no KISS army members need reply:D) LOL ! remember the KISS army ? i could'nt see the point of that,i did'nt realize they had that many fans untill i heard of it(army) PS: i'm not saying it was'nt ever done,i just never heard his name come up since i started visiting here :bassist:
  2. Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    I've always understood that I lot of the KISS work was played by studio musicians.

That being said, Gene Simmons has lived one of the top four or five rock and roll lifestyles and is a major reason that I took up the bass back in the 70's.:spit:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do a search, he's been mentioned frequently. If that's a good thing - I don't know :spit:
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i did a search and found alot of criticism.i could'nt find a thread about him per-say,but alot of opinions about crappy bassists is where his name came up .not to much positive stuff was surrounding him,i was wondering what people thought of him specificaly,not just his name mentioned in a thread was what i was looking for,something specific is what i had in mind ;) thanks
  5. I like Kiss, but I think Gene's tone sucks. Also, the rumor that "ghost" musicians played on Kiss albums make me sick. I hope it was only a rumor...
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sorry, it wasn't a rumour. BTW, Gene is a horrible bassist and he'll be the first to tell you. He once said that kid told him that he was his main influence on bass, and he replied, "Then you suck, a**hole." Nice guy, that Gene. :rolleyes:
  7. In BP's archives, there's an interview with him that pretty well displays his rather "interesting" points of view about bass, women, and some other miscelleneous topics...

(For those interested, go to then click "Artists" on bottom of page.)
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    LOL I took guitar lessons from Stan 'Doc' Penridge (KISS fans should know his name) and spent some time with both jamming (on bass) with Pete Criss and visiting with Ace in the mid to late 80's.

:rolleyes: well, they were nice guys... Pete could keep a couple steady beats... Stan had the right poses.

I believe they may have been helped in the studio
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I met Gene and got his autograph and talked to him
    for a while in December 1988, he told me he wished he had
    learned to be a more "proficient" player, and learned more about music & theory and so-forth.
    These were the words he spoke to me.
    he was very nice. He jammed with our band on strutter. It was a local x-mas charity show.
    :) I still have the pics that were taken by
    my girlfreind from the crowd, there not that great
    maybe one day I will find someone with a scanner and see how they come out and post them.:)
  10. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Bob Babbitt, for one, has claimed to have played on KISS recordings.

11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Not quite. He was asked to play on Gene's solo album, but he turned him down.
  12. indeed.....*puffs pipe* indeed
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I too have been totally put off by the fact that they sometimes hired people to play for him. Makes it virtually impossible to know what kind of bassist he is. I know of bands that have had people playing backstage to live shows also, and i wouldn't doubt that's been done with kiss. I was at a concert in late 70s where Ace totally disappeared for about 5 minutes - think he passed out or something, and the music went on without missing a note or beat.

That being said - before I knew any of this, KISS was my first and biggest influence. I knew the guitar and bass to just about every song on the 1st 4 albums. I often call them my music teachers.

I'd love to know who played bass on Detroit Rock City. Still one of my favorite basslines, STILL a bassline I can't seem to entirely nail (and i don't suck!).... I am SURE Gene did NOT play bass on that song.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I once heard Paul Stanley say something that I found kind of funny. He said, "We had to replace Ace, because I felt that he hadn't grown as a musician in over 10 years, and I thought that was a shame.", and I'm thinking to myself, has this guy looked at his bass chair lately?
  15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What about the live albums? Unless they re-recorded the bass parts in the studio I would think it would be him on bass.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    As for the live albums, think about this. My friend used to review concerts for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, he was attending a Silverchair concert and saw an older guy behind a curtain at the rear of the stage playing guitar. There have been revelations about musicians being underneath the stage at KISS shows.
  17. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    bandwidth is precious my friends...
  18. i never liked kiss songs, but that interview with BP that was mentioned previously is a good read, hardly about bass at all; gets you thinking about some stuff.
  19. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Didn't you guys see that VH1 special where the guys admitted that they re-recorded almost everything on there, even the crowd noise.
  20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No, I guess I didn't, or else I wouldn't have asked the question...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.