1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never seen a Thumb Bass like this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scubaduba, Sep 28, 2017.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    FenderB likes this.
  2. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    My virgin eyes did not need to see this....

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    WOW!!!! How can somebody butcher a beautiful bass or should I say use to be a beautiful bass.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's not the worst reshaped body I've seen and it seems it was done reasonably well.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Still, a mod like that doesn’t exactly enhance value.

DrayMiles and pjbassist like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Maybe whoever did that thought it would make it more comfy playing sitting down? Not the worst hack job I've ever seen, but yeah, takes several hundred off of the value (to me at least).

jamro217 and Nephilymbass like this.
  7. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I admit, I cried a little.

8. At least the price is decent. I'm not a big fan of the shape change or the two patch looking pieces I see. If I could find someone to make me an acrylic body I'd probably buy it at that price just for the neck and other parts though. See through thumb basses look sick. IMG_3512.PNG
    IMG_3511.PNG

wmmj and MrUsefulAlien like this.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That’s what I figure. Thumb basses are hard as hell to play standing up unless you really like playing with a long reach down a horizontal neck, so might as well make it as comfortable as possible to play sitting down.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The bass pressing against your leg might be more comfortable but it looks like playing the thing would be weird. Where the strings are in relation to your leg and where your hand would normally be seems like it would be really awkward.

eddododo likes this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They are certainly close to the edge of the body, but it looks like it would be fine if you play seated classical style.

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  12. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    Can't unsee that.
    $499?
    i don't think so.

13. ouch, no caring to much for the reworking of the body, or the wood plugs. Imo for the butcher job this guy gave this bass and it is way over priced @ $4800.00

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It’s $499.00

petrus61 likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    On the left thigh? Then your reaching even farther with your right hand. That seems worse.

16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I wonder if whoever had it modified had a disability. I've seen similar things done for players who are in a wheelchair. It would explain the moving of the output jack as well as the deep leg cut.

17. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    Just vomited in my throat damn acid reflux. Post like this should not be allowed on a Friday.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The angle the new cut of the lower bout makes would be the concern, not the extra reach. Classical seating generally involves lifting your left leg higher so it would negate any additional reach. He took off maybe 2 inches of the body anyway, so it’s doubtful anyone without an overly large stomach would notice even in a standard seated position.

19. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Just... awful. There are no words...

Herrick likes this.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What would be a fair price for an unmodified example?