Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Never seen this Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Feb 7, 2006.

1. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Never seen that one before, i have however seen that amp with a 2x10 cab, well, as a combo

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    TNT black widow,,, probably one of the best combo's Peavy ever put out.

3. Looks like a really nice combo. Is it definately a TNT combo?

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    It's actually a T-max tube head... Better than TNT line.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hmmm. I wonder why it says T-Max on the front and the back of the head. Do you suppose that means something?* ; }

* One could even pull the pdf manual down off the Peavey site provided they typed -TMax into the manuals/search string.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I imagine the shipping charges would put a serious dent in the ol wallet though.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The answer is on the picture of the back plate. Peavey made both 1-15 and 2-10 TXR cabinets. These are some of the first airhead (open 2 space rack) cabinets produced. I have the 2-10 model and its a heavy bugger. 70lbs without an amp installed. :eek:

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey tried the cab with built in rack approach like many others did (Eden, Ampeg) but it never took off for anybody.

They ran full page ads for that particular amp in Bass Player.

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I just didn't know if it was sold as a combo or if it was an airhead cab with that amp installed into it. The cab looks small comapared to the other black widow 15" cabs build during that time so it confussed me

10. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    It's an airhead cab with a T-Max head installed. Peavey tried to sell amp/cab packages, but was largely unsuccessful. There was also a 112 airhead/Session Bass head package I believe.

The old 210 airhead is my main gigging cab.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    [​IMG]

Like this one?

How do you move it around? Casters, dolly or handtruck? It is great sounding but a backbreaker to move.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Yeah, that's what I use. I have pop-out casters installed on it. I just threw some Eminence neo speakers in it. That helped on the weight a little, but I don't know if I'm completely sold on the sound yet.

13. tpolgrafix

tpolgrafix

Feb 15, 2006
    North Dakota
    I bought one of these combo's when they first were introduced in the '95-'96 time period. They listed for around $1,400 then. I was looking for something that sounded like an SVT but in a more compact size, the T-Max was closest thing I could find. This is a great sounding combo amp. I still use mine from 2-5 nights a week. I put a set of pop-out casters on mine also. For bigger rooms and outdoor gigs, I have a second T-Max head loaded in a rack that sits on top of my SWR 8x10 cab.

By the way, Anthony Kenney of the Kentucy Headhunters has two of these T-Max heads in a rack (one for backup and another for opening act bass players, so they don't have to mess with the settings of his "A" amp) powering a 4x10 peavey cab w/eminence speakers.