1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never used a compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by woody357, Nov 26, 2017.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Hello I have never used a compressor other than the one on my eden Wt550and my Bugera bv1001m. They really don’t do much. I was thinking about getting a compressor but I really don’t know what to look at. I play mostly R&B Funk and smooth jazz. I play finger style as well as slapping. I’m open for suggestions. Thanks for any help.

2. Amp on-board compressors are a compromise at best.

I'm not going to be the one to suggest ovni-something.

rtav, Roberto Nunez, El-Bob and 3 others like this.
  3. Compressor Reviews

You will get a lot of suggestions as there are some serious compressor aficionados hereabouts.

TonyP- and lukehagerman like this.
  4. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Try a comp that has a dry blend. You can crush the signal into sustain and blend back in some of your dynamics. Adjusting the mix between way too much compression and a dry uncompressed signal is probably the easiest to do when you are trying to find something that works with the band.

Get a comp with at least a threshold LED, LED bar graphs (with a scale) are somewhat better to guide you in gain control settings.

-Frank

5. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    This is similar advice that I got from Russ at Doc Lloyd Audio. I took a chance on his new pedal company and after a few back and forth emails I purchased a compressor.
    It has some interesting features> Photon Death Ray: Opto Compressor

I asked about the ratio and this was his answer:

"The ratio is variable and ranges from approximately 2.5:1 at min COMP to 8:1 at max COMP. It can be difficult to spec the ratio of an opto compressor without providing detailed curves since the knee is soft and the ratio varies depending on how far the signal exceeds the threshold. This non-linearity is what makes optos so unique and musical. Personally, I prefer a fairly high ratio with some of the dry signal mixed in to get the best of both worlds (volume leveling and natural attack)."

I also asked about the ELC side chain:

"Without deluging too much information, the side chain is essentially a series of weighting filters that compensate for the Equal Loudness Contour of the human ear. This allows the compressor to track the perceived volume as opposed to signal amplitude alone."

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow!

6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I retired my rack mount DBX comps when I went ultra light. I'm using a Wampler Ego now and really like the dry blend control. I leave it on all the time.

pacojas and Jason Hollar like this.
  7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It really depends on your goal. Are you looking for tonal coloring (fattening and/or sparkle)? Or do you want transparent compression? Light squish or complete squash? Lighting fast reaction or slow, syrupy action?

Many compressors can do a few different things (big ranges of ratios, adjustable attack & decay, tilt EQs for flat or colored tones) but I find they all do certain things better than others.

LiquidMidnight and pbass2 like this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

@XXL - I’d be really interested in hearing a lot more about that Doc Lloyd compressor. Sounds really interesting. But there’s no demos of it that I could find. And although the price lands around the center of the quality compressor price range (i.e. reasonable), it’s a little too expensive for me to just order one out of curiosity right now. So I welcome hearing your impressions of it. :)

XXL likes this.
  9. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    His answer with "It can be difficult to spec the ratio of an opto compressor without providing detailed curves since the knee is soft and the ratio varies depending on how far the signal exceeds the threshold." might be true with his design and some others. But there are opto designs that have hard-knee and well defined ratios and soft-knee with defined ratios. Not all opto compressors are designed the same way.;)

-Frank

10. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What makes you think you need one?

BassmanPaul, pcake, Atshen and 2 others like this.
  11. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if you want leds , dry blend , tubelike tone = sounds like my DarkGlass Supersymmetry .. !?

i'd like to try out a Keeley Bassist .. since a Limiter is really what most of us need to control our drunken wanking .. !!

El-Bob, staccatogrowl and mikewalker like this.
  12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yes, what are you after? With compression, usually, if you don't know why you need it, then you probably don't really need it . . . Leave it to the FOH. If you're recording, then that's a whole different discussion . . .

bassomane and 40Hz like this.
  13. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Sometimes you don't know if or why you would need or want one until you actually play around with one. A lot of times it may take a few different types of compressors until you make your mind up.;)

-Frank

14. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Nope, zero demos. I believe Doc Lloyd has started only a couple of months ago. The internal ELC side chain has me very intrigued, I can't wait to try it at gig volumes.

bassbrad likes this.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I took my compressor off my board because I couldn't tell if it was on or off when playing live.

gazzatriumph, El-Bob and 40Hz like this.
  16. srcTW

srcTW Practicing my tail off Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Houston Metro Area
    I suggest an MXR M87. It’s gig proven, relatively inexpensive and easy to use. You can experiment without much risk. Buying used is better.

tlite and 4dog like this.
  17. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'll agree that in general this is true, but have to say that the compressor on my Mesa Carbine M9 is actually quite nice and IMO would hold its own against many "studio quality" stand alone boxes I've heard. I also thought that the Mesa M-Pulse 600 had a very nice compressor (might have been the same compressor design/circuitry as they used on the Carbine).

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Sounds like you have really dug into the world of compression. Good for you dude, I still need to do this myself. That comp by Doc looks sweet. Love the jewel LED covers.

XXL likes this.
  19. Smogcity

Smogcity

May 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I'd suggest an Origin effects Cali-76. It's amazing.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    kat888 likes this.