1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nevermind.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hover, Jul 28, 2012.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Let's give this another go. Apologies for a bit of *childish* reaction earlier by retracting my original post due to lack of interest...you get excited about something and want others to be excited, and when it appears to fall flat, it deflates you.

So again, my new project, Limits of Reason, is in its formitive stage and already pretty prolific (14 songs in 3 months time / 6-8 rehearsals) not a bad start. Hope you like this song, and the one posted below. I'd love feedback, pro or con, as long as you know, it's constructive.

http://soundcloud.com/mswarren/last...nce&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=soundcloud

Thanks, for any interest.
    -Ron

2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Try bumping instead of creating a waste of space thread and attracting negative attention to yourself. Out off thousands of threads what makes yours so important? Give it time and maybe you'll get a positive response.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    deleted.

4. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Could be that there are a million versions of Nirvana tunes. And there're pretty simple bass parts. Go on Youtube. I'd say there are at least a hundred Nirvana bass covers though I stumbled across a fretless bass arrangement of "Lithium" that was pretty cool

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    skep. ROFLMAO.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No.

But thank you.

7. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    I'll take a listen to the recording and critique it, if that's what you originally wanted. The TB boards can be fickle at times.

just PM me and we'll see what we can't do

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's cool, thank you. My apologies if I came off "baby-ish", not my intention..I was looking for feedback, and with as many people had viewed it, not one could leave a pro or con? That's just lazy. It's happened before, hence my response...that said, I'm cool with any critique. I just feel if there's any sense of true "community" here, iand you're taking the time to click and listen, at least leave feedback. I always do, it's a courtesy is all.

http://soundcloud.com/mswarren/bad-...ead&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=soundcloud

Much appreciated for your interest.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I listened to it. Didn't care for it. Decided not to comment until I saw you little rant.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Fair enough, I appreciate your listening. It was not so much a rant as a bit of disappointment mixed with impatience. Been a while since I had new, band-collective material which I feel is coming along nicely... sorry if I ruffled your feathers enough to somehow compel you to reply to that which you deemed unworthy to prior. Wish it was more towards the positive, but thanks just the same.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It would seem to me that, if you were looking for feedback......you got it.

12. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Dig the Song. Liking the Bass lines. Fits the song and the Vocal lines well! Kudos! :)

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I think people didn't want to pan it. Thus, no response.

It gets very tedious to listen to, IMO. Ditch the electric guitar, bring up the the acoustic guitar and drop the bass a bit. Add some rhythmic variety - don't have the bass playing the same pattern as the acoustic guitar. Work on the ending.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks guys. Cyber, I get what you're sayin. Was this in response to the first or second clip? I understand hesitation in general if you don't like a tune, it's cool...cannot expect everyone to enjoy it (but hope at least something can please the ear within it)

But i appreciate the critique, as well as the kind words. It's very early into the project where nothing is too *precious* and set in stone away from being re-looked at you know? We're still working on strengths and getting to gel together...I just thought I'd share some stuff done recently.

15. I like it a lot. that's about all i got in terms of feedback

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    First clip is great. Nice little off-kilter timing, but you and the drummer seem really locked in. Good work I say.

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Sorry, meant to say off-kilter time signature - nothing wrong with your timing. Very tight. :)

18. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Ha! I missed the point. I thought you were doing a Nirvana cover.

Heard the song. Nice riff. The melody is a little banal. I think a more atmospheric background is needed -- not just piano , which sounds a little lounge band-y.

Bass sounds fine. Make the lyrics at the end of each chorus the same to give continuity. Lose the clavenet solo. Cut about 30 seconds. Add some harmonies. More mids on the bass. Add a sonic maximizer to the drums. Those are my suggestions.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Sorry, I only listened to the first clip. Just tried the second clip and I'm not trying to be a d--k, just giving you honest feedback. I think with a little studio finesse you could have a cuople decent songs. Maybe not top ten on the Top 40 charts, but respectable songs.

Try stereo miking the piano. It seemed odd to be panned to the left the entire song. The bass is still too prominent, as much as that hurts me to say that as a bassist. The guitar tone is too dense and buzzy. Try multi-tracking the guitar with two cleaner tones, one panned hard left, one hard right. The electric piano solo went a little long and the way it ended left a little to be desired. Play around with that a little until it flows more smoothly.

Again, just some suggestions. The biggest is to change the guitar tone. I really think it sounded like a completely different genre than the songs that you're recording. Good start, just need some polish and a little rework to take it to the next level.

PS - I'm always critical of my stuff too. It makes for a good programmer, some of my code is still running after 10 years of writing it. On the downside, out of the thousands of pictures I've taken I like very few of them.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Vinny, Titus, FrankenIbby and ATK-G, Awesome, I truly appreciate that. Cyber, I'd never think that was d--k-ish, it was constructive and respectful. Just what I was asking for. So thanks!

Love the feedback guys, it really means a lot to me. This project is going along so briskly, sharing files back and forth...and I too am often too critical of the work, and decided to roll a little looser with this collective. But I love having fresh perspective. I don't see this as an effort to molding the music "by committee", but moreso being made aware of how the songs are perceived. These were quick and dirty recordings solely to use to possibly get some gigs, we cut 4 in all. Recorded in less than optimal conditions, on the fly.

As things progress they would benefit from some outside production help, but as for now, this thread is serving a bit of that for me. It's an exciting time.