1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 08 Jazz, Olympic white + Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, picked this up from the bass centre a few weeks ago. Excuse the crappy picture, I'm certainly not gifted with a camera ;)

Plenty has been said about these basses, and to be honest I can't add much more other than the neck is a little too thick for my tastes. It seems to be thicker compared to the average jazz bass neck.

The Pups still suck (like nearly every other fender), but I bought a Sadowsky DI (I'm a huge marcus fan!!!) and that does wonders to the tone. IMO Jazz + Sadowsky DI = winning combination.

The neck is nice, i really like the rolled edges on the fretboard. The bridge has been upgraded on the 08's and there is now the option of string-through-body which I prefer.

They're just a really good product.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying they're the greatest thing, because I'd still like to own a vintage J some day along with perhaps a Roscoe SKB, MTD 435, etc etc. What I'm saying is yes they are great, but there are other basses that are just as good if not better.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the bass and I love the tone, the playability and especially the looks. Did I mention I love the looks? :D

Attached Files:

2. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Beautiful!

I'm going bassshopping tomorrow.

The new MIA jazz is one of the options i'm considering!

I love the colourcombo! It's exactly what I would choose!

Congrats :bassist:

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I thought it was just me, but I've found maple Jazz necks to be thicker front to back than Rosewood Jazz necks. Could that be?

Oh, BTW, American Fenders have had the string through option for over 10 years now.

Enjoy, I have an 08 MIA P - Same color with Rosewood. :bassist:

4. Gorgeous bass.

5. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i have one of these in oly with a rosewood board. one of my fave jazz basses. i think the pickups sound fine. it records great.

6. Very nice, I have the 5 string version in rosewood. Its definitely the best line of Jazz basses out yet. Comes with a super sweet case too. Enjoy!

7. Yum! This one plays awesome too :D

Only one word. Nordstrands :D

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Nice color combination. You review is a bit ambiguous, though. First you say the neck is too thick for your taste, then you say the neck is nice. Then you said the pickups suck, then you say you love the tone. . .

I've tried all kinds of Jazz pickups, Nordstrands, Lollar, Antiquitty II, Bartolini, and my favorites, Dimarzio, and I think the original Fender pickups in the '08s are quite nice. IMHO.

I do agree that the neck profile is a bit thicker than say, '70s Jazz basses, '62 Reissues or MIJ Reissues, like the Geddy Lee.

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Lol.

Yeah I could have been clearer. I love the tone through the Sadowsky DI. Without the DI it just sounds like a regular jazz bass - not a bad thing but I prefer the thicker tone through the DI. And yes, while the neck is a little thicker than the average jazz bass, I still find it comfy to play on and it is very fast. Sorry for that, I should have been clearer.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd love that in a fiver....beeeeeaautiful.

But why is the bass upsidedown?

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I want that!!! :rollno:

Can you PM with the price if you don't mind?

12. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    beautiful. plan to get the Precision twin sooner or later.

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Because I'm in Australia :p
    J/K, that's just how the case is for some reason. That's how the bass sits in the premoulded section.

14. I have that exact same bass! I really enjoy it! Bought it last January and still have the stock strings on it! It plays, balances, sounds and as mentioned above records great! Oh yeah and it looks great too!

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ll be getting one soon and didn`t know it had thicker neck profile. I`ll see how it compares to my other MIA Fender Jazz.

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    That is one classy looking jazz bass ras1983. kudos on such a great buy!

a jazz bass is the greatest by the way! ;)

17. how much they let you have it for mate? I've been on there website quite a bit of late looking at the same models? (personally prefer the rosewood)

John

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    They're selling them for $AUD2000 (and yes I do realise you're an Aussie :smug:).

I guess I just prefer the look and feel of maple :bassist: Truth be told the main inspiration for this colour scheme was Duck Dunn's P-Bass in the final scene of the Blues Brother. I can't remember if he had a rosewood or maple fret board though:ninja:

19. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I bought that same bass three days ago....And Its sound great and all,BUT I had the strings lowered than what they come with,And I also had some FLAT WOUNDS put on it.....Iam thinking about changing the pups to the Noisless fender mods.....Not sure yet Iam looking for that old Blues sound.....

20. I'm waiting for a bass to be delivered from the bass centre today. A new 5 string mia jazz. Good ol' sunburst.

I'm at work and its being delivered in here, so when it arrives work will be a write off for the rest of the day. Every panel van that drives past is prolonging the torture of having to wait.

I love the olympic white and tort. Really nice combo.