1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 100W Combo Amp: Ampeg BA115 or Fender Rumble 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Superconductor, Jul 21, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

[​IMG]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...00210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138

I've been looking for a solid combo amp in around the $300-$500 radius, and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the BA115 or Rumble 210. They are both $349, which is enough for my budget, but I'm having a hard time deciding. This will be used for in-home practicing and small jam sessions (without drums).

I hear that the BA115 has some pretty bad hissing, and haven't heard much about the Rumble.

How does The 2x10 speakers in the Fender compare to the 1x15 in the Ampeg?

Tone? Punch? Sound quality? Durability?

Thanks!

2. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I prefer the sound of the Fender combo stuff when comparing it to the Ampeg. Although I never played through either of these amps, I've played through the Bassman 250/210 combo and liked it. The Fender does have a XLR direct out with a level control and compression circuitry.

I know...not much help but it's a start.

3. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    has anyone compared the fender rumble 100(the 1x15) with the Ampeg BA115?

i also have been looking at all three of these amp combos, and have been curious as to whether or not you can use an extension cab with any of them?

4. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I have played an Ampeg BA115. My drummer has one for practicing his bass stuff. It doesn't get loud enough and it's muddy as hell.

5. Lindsey

Lindsey

Nov 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've got a Fender Rumble 60 with a single 12 (60W@8OHMS)and an Ampeg BA 210 (220W@4OHMS) I like the tone of the Fender better with my Stingray and Fender Jazz. BTW, the 210 is going back again for warranty service today (7 months old). I'm no longer a big Ampeg fan due to my experience with this amp. To be fair, their service folks have been fine to deal with, but the quality of the hardware has not met my expectations. Also +1 on the volume issue. Even with all gain and eq positions maxed, the 210 is not a loud amp by any definition. Oh well, I fixed the problem by picking up a Mesa BB750 and powerhouse 1x15 cab....whole different ball of wax!:)

6. I own the BA115, and I've never been happy with the sound... I was considering selling it and then it just died on me a week after the warranty ran out, it's been nothing but a pain in the ass. It does hiss a bit (I've heard it sounds alot better if you remove/pad the tweeter) I haven't played the Fender amp but I can imagine the only thing the Ampeg has on it is that it's a kickback - which is pretty essential for a 100w amp if you're playing medium sized venues.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I play an Ampeg BA115 at my rehearsals, and love the tone. I have played the Fender Rumble 100, and I think the Ampeg has a much better tone.

Medium to larger gigs might be an issue for either combo you mentioned, due to the lower watts.

Now, if you would consider the newer Fender Bassman 250/115 or 250/210 combos, I would get one of those in a heart beat. Great tone IMO.

8. +1 to this post...I owned the Fender Rumble 100 (1x15) for a couple years or so, and one of my friends had the Ampeg BA115. I preferred the tone of the Ampeg over the Fender as well. But I did enjoy the Fender when I had it. And if this is going to be just for practicing and stuff without drums, either one will be fine for you. I'm a big Ampeg fan so I think I'll vote for the Ampeg.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    +1

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    +2 on the reply from anderbass. wish i still had mine. :(

11. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    I'm still kicking myself for selling my old Rumble 1x15. It was probably the most plug and play amp I've ever used, the tone was incredible for such a budget amp.