Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 12" Cabs - Carl Weber Audio - CWA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Folks..first and foremost ...
    I am not an authority on cabinets or basses...
    I love experimenting with different basses amps and cabs.
    I have an AccuGroove Tri210L and have used Bag Ends - Acme to name a few but I think I have stumbled a great relatively unknown speaker cabinet builder from Long Island.

This guys cabs is right up there with the big boys..

Carl Weber.. dba Carl Weber Audio (CWA)

cweber6@optonline.net

He developed a 12 " cab with a 6.5" midrange which sounds amazing.

I told Carl I will post up on TB and have him add some information about cabinet specs and answer any questions you all might have for him...

I have used the cabs at 6 shows over the past two weeks and played both indoors and outdoors using a 4 string Sadowsky and a USA Jo Osborn switching between a
    WW Ultra and an Eden WT 550 head...
    At one of the indoor shows its a gym type room..
    I always had a hard time in this room..but these cabs worked out really well for me.

The Sadowsky always sounds good but the Osborn sounded amazing...I have never heard the G and D strings so clearly with such a full range of sound..

he will give his contact info when posting...

Here are a few pix
    http://a2.cpimg.com/image/B0/CB/50058672-5f63-00650080-.jpg

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/B1/CB/50058673-8b17-00800072-.jpg

as usual I am having troubles with club photo so I apoligize for the small pix

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    they look nice! Does Carl have a website that we can look through?

3. 57pbass

No website... I think he has something in the works but he is at this point a one man pony show so I dont think he has the resources??

it took some detective work to track him down and thanks to my fellow TB'ers......

4. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    What brand of drivers is he using? What's the weight of theses cabs?

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It looks like they are covered with carpet, like the stinking cabinets I have now. Maybe he would make some covered with Tolex or spray-on bedliner instead? :eyebrow:

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is this the same guy who made the 212 cab for the guy at New York Bass Works? If so, I've been hoping to hear more about these. I would REALLY like a 212 cab. I love Bergantino but he doesn't make 212's any longer.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just looked for the info and answered the question myself. This is the same guy...........more info please! :D

8. 57pbass

He is using the McCauley 6000 series (www.mccauley.com)for the 12 and I dont know the name of the 6.5 but its super high quality and its sealed in its own enclosure within the cab..
    Carl Weber designed the crossover as well...

I picked up two cabs and each weighs about 50 lbs..
    very well made...well worth the grunting..
    12 ply birch and the magnet on the 12 is probably 8" round..

What I like about the Mcauley drivers along with the sound is if you need a recone..the entire basket comes off by removing three screws and you replace it with a new one...no cutting out the old and gluing in a new cone and dust cover... very nice feature...

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sweet. The Peavey Black Widows are like that also.

-Mike

10. 57pbass

My all time favorite modern 15" bass combo is the TNT with a Black Widow....

11. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    How do you compare this new cab to your AccuGroove?

12. 57pbass

As I mentioned in my original post I am no expert but IMHO

The Tri210L and the CWA are very different sounding..
    The AG has a big bottom end where the CWA cabs are very well rounded - tight and focused.
    These cabs can get up there in the volume level ..
    Also as I mentioned in my original post I have never heard my passive jazz bass sound so good..the 6.5 speaker has a huge impact on the way the cabs are voiced...

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Meyer Sound uses McCauley drivers in their systems...
    [that's a serious recommendation in itself].

14. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Your humble opinion is all i was seeking.
    (The AccuGrooves are on top of my GAS list!) ;)
    Also, my main bass is a passive Jazz, so that caught my eye as well. Thanks for your input!

gg

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Do you know how the tone compares to the Berg HT112's? I'd really like to have the contact info on these!! :D

16. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Very nice!

17. 57pbass

I just returned home from a local gathering of bassist who each brought along some bass goodies..basses/amps/cabs..

One guy had a stack of Berg HT112 & EX 112 with a Peavey power head and a SWR Grand Prix Pre Amp.
    The guy might have had them eq'ed to a setting I did not like but they are very different cabs..
    the CWA has a 6.5 midrange which has a huge impact of the way they sound....

I heard the Bergs and the CWA cabs and decided to go with the CWA cabs....I just liked the way they sounded...

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Regarding what you heard, I'd bet anything that the lack of warmth was the SWR. I have the same Berg stack and it sounds like whatever I put through it. With my Demeter pre for instants it's very warm with an emphasis in the mids. With my EAiAMP350 the Bergs are dry and cut through a mix but a bit sterile. With a Millennia TD-1 it was the most even, warm sound I've ever heard. Point being, the SWR Grand Prix naturally lacks warmth. It can be changed greatly with a high quality tube but it still is a bit brittle.

19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for the input! I love my little Bergs, definitely hard to beat for an extremely portable cab. But I'm always looking for something better. I was about to pull the trigger on a couple of Tri112L's but I may have to reconsider. :confused: