1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 2008 Fender American Standard JB5 vs. Marcus Miller 5 vs. Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wimpy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Can somebody compare sound of these basses?...also what about low B on new american standard 5? thanks Wimpy

2. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I can talk about the 3 basses

the sadowsky is great the low b is very good too. sadowsky sound the preamp is magic.
    what I don't like is the neck
    why??
    because I prefer the neck on my marcus miller, it's one of the best neck (in fact to me the best even better than the fodera I used) the low be is nice when both pu on and when the bridge pu only is on the low be is a monster!!!
    the preamp is great too ( but I prefer the sadowsky preamp that I have onboard on my marcus miller 4)

the jazz bass 5 is a decent bass, but I have to admit that i don't really like the low b on these basses but overall it's a good bass.

but I think the jazz bass 5 can't compete with the sadowsky or the marcus miller 5 imo.

my choice is the marcus miller

3. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    ...thank you, I like to own some five string JB type bass. New Fenders looks nice and price is also O.K. but I like to have that Marcus slap sound on five string bass. I love my Fender Marcus 4 with OBP3 but I want similar even better instrument in five string version ;-) so if New Fenders are far from Miller's sound iI'll turn to Marcus V...thanks again W.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    May I suggest you evaluate the American Deluxe Jazz V as well. I've like the sound and feel of those basses much moreso than the passive Fender Jazz 5s I've played in the past.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

FWIW, My main gigging and recording 5ers until recently have been a pair of MIA Fender V's (a 1997 Deluxe and a 1992 Plus).

That was until I played a Sadowsky Metro 5er.

Needless to say, I now own the Sadowsky and the 2 Fender Jazz V's were sold to help pay for it. Best decision I have ever made.

To each their own, but the Sadowsky has an amazing B string and is very versitile.

6. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    ...thank you all

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Here's my MPO on all 3 because I own ( ed) all 3 basses,however I've recently sold the Sadowsky

Sadowsky MS5-Maple/Maple,great punchy tone a very Modern sounding bass,however it didn't have that "Grease that I like to hear in a Jazz bass,but all n all it's a great bass forn sure. Just wasn't my thing...@ least this one wasn't

Marcus Miller V -if anything it has a great playing neck,however I think the 4 string actually is alot closer to the Marcus/70's Jazz bass type tone than this bass because the tone is very dark,personaly I think the preamp and pickups could be better with the type of price this bass commands

Fender Standard 5.-Grreat feel, real nice round tone and pretty loud 4 a passive bass.I'm playing this one ALOT !!!

8. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Sadowski - very polished, records well, highs are a little wierd ala Ken Smith
    American Std J - warm, midrangey ala Jaco, a little dirty sounding, balanced tone
    Marcus Miller - scooped tone, not much midrange, great slap bass, great R&B tones