Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 3RD Force: Gentle Force

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just received a new 3RD Force CD, "Gentle Force." I really like it and feel it will please fans of Sade, because the vibe is so similar. Strangely enough, there does not seem to be any overlap of personnel in her band and that of 3RD Force.

Another thing, 3RD force lacks Denman, the gifted bassist for Sade. In fact, 3RD Force has no bassist! Maybe my ear isn't too good, but it seems that the bass is synth or mostly synth. William Aura and Alian Eskinasi both share bass duities according to the booklet, but they also play keyboards and "grooves." I was wondering how they would sound with Denman manning the bass.

Be warned, fans of heavier jazz will NOT like this album and relegate it to "smooth jazz" infamy, but I soldier on valiently or foolishly depending on the point of view as one who does enjoy some of the better practitioners of smooth jazz.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I failed to mention that vocalist Rebecca Carlish has a vocal style and sound very similar to Sade's. She does not sing on every track, however. Those that she does definitely invoke Sade to mind.

For Craig Chaquico fans, he lends acoustic guitar artistry to one of the tracks. I like Chaquico, but usually cannot listen to an entire album at one sitting. That said, I do enjoy him and actually prefer him to AL Di Meola, who would croak at the very notion, no doubt.