New 4+1 headstock Fender MIA Deluxe "B" better than the older MIA 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The Fender website points out that the newer 4 +1 headstock has an additional string tree which supposedly evens out the string tension, improving the B string performance. Anyone have any objective real life expierience comparing the new model with the older MIA Deluxe V which has the 5 tuners in a row? (I see the newer one has more distance from the nut to the tuning machine as well)

Or if you just own a newer jazz MIA V and have any comments either way I'd be interested in your comments.

Thanks for your time.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I own both styles and have noticed no difference. Some people have a preference. I just want a nice bass.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Although I prefer the five in a row over the 4 + 1, I've owned both and also noticed no difference.
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    If maurilio is around he may have some insight on this. I bought an Am. Dlx 5 off him. It has the 5 inline headstock, but maurilio replaced the standard fender 3 string tree with one from a lakland that covers all 5.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

*sigh* A string tree does *not* change tension. Neither does string-thru body versus top-load. Nor does distance from tuning peg to nut.

The string tree will sharpen the break angle over the nut, which *might* improve performance (i.e. tone and/or sustain).

I think the improved string tree is a good idea, actually. But again... it won't affect tension.

P.S. I prefer 4+1 to 5 inline for 2 reasons: greater distance between tuners (easier to tune) and aesthetics. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 5-inline design for any reason... in fact I see a Benavente 51-5 in my future. :)