1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New 4 finger picking video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 12, 2006.

1. Nice job! You really manage to blend well the 4 finger technique with normal picking.

Other than that, your fretless looks amazing!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    very cool vid, and awesome playing!

but, i cant really see your plucking hand to get a jist of how its working. :( instead of the angled view, maybe a squarely shot vid from right in front of you would help?

3. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    You've got unbelievable speed man, but if you're trying demonstrate the technique you did a downright crappy job of it, I'm afraid!

Definitely should've opted for a direct view or featured the right hand more prominently.

4. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    You've got unbelievable speed man, but if you're trying demonstrate the technique you did a downright crappy job of it, I'm afraid!

Definitely should've opted for a direct view or featured the right hand more prominently.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Have look at this video from mikes website. It shows the technique a little better. Good stuff mike by the way

6. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Awsome stuff man.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a quick video I just made for those wanting to see the straight on view:
    Straight-on view (.wmv file about 5mb)
    I actually shot it a bit from below. The problem with viewing it straight-on is that since your fingers are really curled under, you can't see much. This vid shows how lightly I use my thumb when plucking- it just barely goes through the string, so you often have to look close just to see it plucking- while Mike uses a more straight-out thumb, which probably is more beneficial if you want to intergrate double-thumping into the technique.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    One problem that I have when I use this technique or try to at least is that I my volume suffers quite a bit. I don't normaly dig in or anything it just seems my volume takes a drop if I switch to this technique. Do you guys find this as well? Any idea's on a remedey?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The lighter the touch, the lower the volume in general. There's a very simple solution- turn up your amp, and let it do the work for you.

10. Yes volume is a problem but that's all part of the process of bringing this into a band context - I've used it on solos and it definitely works - but it's also great for exciting fills when you get the chance.

I've added a new better quality video the My Sapce page: see here

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_videos.html

Cheers

EDIT - I promise I'm going to make a really tuneful - melodic - piece soon! Enough notes already ;) !

Mike

11. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006