New 4 string on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jul 1, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got one of the first Cort Curbow Retros on the way directly from Greg. Hopefully, it'll be here Thursday. He seems really pleased with the quality (made in Indonesia), and said he's shocked at how nice the rosewood fretboard is on these things.

He's got a couple on Ebay right now with a BIN of $295, so this could be a good bass for hot rodding.

I'll probably order a set of Jazz Flats for it from Dude.

It's available in either 'burst and black (honestly, I'm not sure which I'm getting since I didn't specify :meh:), but he was particularly impressed with the finish jobs. In any event, I might get a custom pickguard made for it at some point since I've never been a big fan of white 'guards.

Here's a pic:

I'll post my impressions when it shows up, with some sound clips, if I'm not too lazy...
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Does this mean that you're going to donate one of your custom Curbows now? ;) Congrats, and I hope yuo like it. And I mean no offense, but that's one of the fugliest basses I've ever seen. It's probably just the pickguard and small headstock that makes it look that way to me though, as it looks like a pretty standard Jazz-style body.
  3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. No, I'll be keeping the US Made Curbows.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I doubt there will ever be a bass that everyone loves, so I'm certainly not offended by your not liking it.

I'll post better pics when I get it since Simon (works for Greg) is even worse at taking pictures than I am (and, that's saying a lot!).

I'm curious to check out the active electronics on a bass this cheap, too. Greg originally designed this bass as passive, but someone at Cort decided to have it made with active electronics. :confused:

In any event, this bass could end up as a piccolo bass, but that remains to be seen.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm looking at the 'burst 4-string just to tide me over...

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. Greg should ship one of these out free with every custom bass to help with the wait...:D

I'm really looking forward to checking this thing out, and using it on a gig next weekend.

6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    what are the specs? body/neck wood? 5 string? looks pretty sweet

edit: nevermind, i checked the auction. looks really cool... a lot like my rockwood 6 string...except with a pickguard