1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 4003 Mapleglo for $1550.00

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I bought my 4003 Fireglo from Sam Ash for $1689.00. They told me if I found a dealer offering it at a lower price to let him know and they'd match it. I found this site, emailed them for their quote and this is the email they sent me: (I used my wife's email address because when folks try to reply to mine, it gets kicked back. Gotta check with ISP tomorrow)

http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/rick.html

Linda,

We just got the 4003 MG and it's beautiful!

The price is $1550.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Pittsburgh Guitars
    412-431-0700

If you want a Mapleglo for 1550, better contact them ASAP!

Jack

2. The 4003 are the Rics with the halved logs for necks, right?

3. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    This is my first Rick, I get it Tuesday. Not sure.

4. bunomatic42

bunomatic42

Dec 21, 2006
    Morgantown,WV
    The guys at Pittsburgh Guitars are top notch. I purchased my Hofner Vintage '63 in person from them and they beat everyone else in price and had great service :).

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Congrats Jack. Be sure to post some pics Tuesday.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Not sure what the point of this post is, besides a cheap dig at the OP's taste in instruments.

An inaccurate one, too, as every 4003 I've played has a very slim neck.

7. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Glad someone's got my back. ;)

Thanks Sartori, had no idea what they were talking about.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just got my new jetglo 4003 yesterday, and its neck is slim and fast with super low action. its about as far from a 'halved log' as it could possibly be.

9. Korladis

Yeah, maybe the poster intended it as good natured teasing, but it came off as a bit meanspirited to me. Plus I'm a stickler for accuracy. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of 4003's, just like every other instrument. No need to make things up.

Some people have trouble with the idea that other people might like different basses than they do.

Everyone should play what makes them happy.

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I took this post as an attempt on the OPs part to get everyone here at TB a deal. $1550 for a Rick as opposed to nearly $200 more. Right? If so, thanks a lot, it's kind of you to alert everyone.

11. Korladis

That, too. Pretty cool of the OP to mention where he got a good price.

12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Indeed.

13. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Well said everyone. Just trying to give back to these forums all the knowledge I've gained since picking up the bass a little over a year ago. These forums are a Godsend!

thanks

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, and that's a really great deal for one. i often see used 4003's on ebay go for $1575 and over.

15. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    The Pittsburgh Guitar guys are really cool I've dealt with them many many times.

16. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Not entirely inaccurate. The basses from about 2005-2008 had real chunky P style necks. Current production with the two piece necks is wide, fast & flat.

17. Interesting! I had a 1977 4001. Bought it new and played it for several years. Now I have a 2001 4003. Both of them have very similar necks. For me they play 1000% better than any Fender I've ever played. If Ric went to a neck modeled after a P Bass, I'm really glad I bought mine when I did!

18. See:

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the jetgo 4003 that i bought new in 2005 had the just about same size neck as the new one that i just got yesterday, but maybe just a teensy weensy bit fatter. i did have 1980 4001 that had a lot bigger neck. AFAIK, rick necks have always been rough shaped and then final hand sanded/shaped so their neck profile can vary quite a bit, but IME, they have been pretty consistent (slim and fast) in the last 5 years, and after all, that's kinda what rick basses are known for.

personally, i like the new 4003 inlays that go all the way to the edges better (like the early 4001's).

20. Well that's nice, but the one I played had a neck almost as thick as a Warwick Thumb NT.