1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new +44 album... what do you think

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kevin V, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    For all the guys who have ragged on mark hoppus for his blink days... wow, he put on quite a performance on the letterman show i think... in my opinion his new band is very, very good and i really like his sound. I bought the new album and some of the stuff is great and i think it shows he's a pretty decent songwriter. He doesn't try to do too much, he's not too technical, but it sounds nice.

What do you guys think?

2. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Not a big fan, but I enjoyed the Letterman performance as well. Why did the drummer only play with one hand?

3. is it on you tube?

edit

i like it

4. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    He has multiple stress fractures in the other from probably drumming too hard for 15 years :D

I like the album.. 2 thumbs up.

5. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    He must be a hell of a drummer with both hands, 'cause he rocked pretty hard with just the one.

6. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    It's Travis Barker... from Blink-182... hailed by numerous as the greatest drummer ever. (not me, just on a lot of forums, people will say he's super awesome yay)

Seriously though, yes, he's a very talented drummer.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Travis Barker is a great drummer, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the one that keeps the best beat.

As for +44, I'm unimpressed, but such is how these things go. Blink 182 was silly, juvenile and pretty obnoxious, but their first couple of albums are still pretty seminal in regards to mid-90's pop-punk. I really don't think melodrama works for any of them. I just can't take it seriously.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    People actually think that?! Sure, the dude can play, but greatest ever?

Goat :help: us all.

9. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    ya, I browse a number of music sites and there's one (sputnik) that has a list function, and people list their favourite drummers and bassists, and songs, solos, etc etc.. he's been #1 on a couple and the posters have been relentlessly bashed for good reason

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I think it's a great album. It's a huge step up from the Blink stuff. Lyrically, it's a lot better than the Blink stuff and it's completly different musically. I really hated Angels and Airwaves so I was hoping this would deliver.

I think Travis is an amazing, amazing, amazing drummer. I don't know if he's the best eVar, but he's in one of the top 5, IMO

11. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    "greatest ever" discussions are stupid to begin with, but yea travis is good, and the letterman performance was very fun.

In regards to the "melodrama", a lot of people have complained about it, but I sort of see it as a parody of it and making fun of it. A lot of reviews have cited the "slitting wrists" lyric as over the top, but he's directly making of his former bandmate who stabbed Mark in the back and went all petty-emo in Angels and Airwaves. People don't usually see his use of sarcasm.

Still, I think this album is pretty good. Similar yet very different to blink. Theyre also a new band, so it won't sound perfect the first time through, but I think they're serious, at least Mark is anyway. We'll see what happens with their future work, but I think there's some potential.

12. How come everytime there's such vids at youtube, there will ALWAYS be one guy saying "[Lars Ulrich/Travis Barker/Joey Jordison] is the best EVER!"

And then there will be like more "experienced" guys saying,
    He's good but not the best... He can never be compared with of John Bonham, Neil Peart blablablabla"

13. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Wowzas! I just noticed Travis is using his left foot for the snare!

Also, Mark's picking technique is really weird looking.

14. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Can ya tell me a little bit about the album. On interviews I read, the band describes the +44 stuff as electronic with keyboards and female vocalist. The song on Letterman was far from electronic with no keys or females to be found. :confused: Is the album electonic or stuff like they did on Letterman. I kinda like the Letteman performance and would pick up the CD if it's more of that kind of of stuff.

- Thanks

15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    They dropped a ton of the techno stuff and the female vocalist left. There's a little keyboard, but not a lot by any measure.

16. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    But most of them are pre-teens who don't know s**t...it's like saying, Flea is the best bass player ever. Sure, he's decent, and a lot of people like his band, but there are so many people that could play him under the table (regardless of the number of arms he's using).

17. Not bad... and I did not like Blink-182 at all.

18. Eh. Not my type of music.

...but I respect the drummer.

19. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm impressed. I didn't like Blink-182 at all, but I honestly enjoyed that song.

Not sure if I could stomach a studio album by those guys though, but it sounded quite good live.

-Dash

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Better than Angels & Airwaves for damn sure.