Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Ampeg

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Mesa Boogie (bit of a $ stretch)

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Yorkville

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. SWR

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Eden

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  6. Gallien Krueger

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Which one for a nice all around (sorta vintagy) sound?
    It's gonna go through my A.M.P. BH 420

2. Sorry I won't vote, but I will reply...:D
    the Mesa/Boogie rocks, it is expensive, but it's worth it.....Or try the Powerhouse Jr.,1x12 and 4x8........Very punchy....

3. Take your head and bass to the shop with you and try them all out, so you can decide which one sounds best to you.

4. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I'm an idiot....I never read the bit about having to be sorta vintage sounding. Ignore one vote for SWR and put it with the Ampeg. Sorry.

5. Best advice I have seen in a long time........:D

6. Eden would be a little stretch too ($)

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you want a vintage sound go with a vintage ampeg. If you can't get a vintage one a new ampeg is probably the closest thing.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    very good advice there, and the only way to check out an amp to see if you like it.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry...can't vote. I like my EBS 4x10 better than any of those you listed:(

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As much as I dig that cab, RAM - smooth, vintagy tone? Mmmmnnnaah. But it kicks. :)

11. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Aguilar has vintage smell too:D

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both the Diesel 4x10 and the Powerhouse, Jr., and I agree. The two sound killer together, BTW. The older Diesel or Road Ready Boogies are my favorite of the 4x10's I have tried. However, I have not tried Epifani's 4x10 (though I have tried a number of his other cabs), and I am sure that a T-410UL would kick. Of course, now you are really talking pricey!

Go for an older Boogie in good shape. You won't be disappointed. I was temtped to sell mine a while back, but in truth, I probably will never be able to part with that cab.

Later, Tom.

13. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I didn't vote either, but the SWR Goliath II is from what I can tell less modern sounding than the III. I have one, and I get a really deep warm sound out of it with my Alembic preamp.

14. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Oh, and you can find them pretty cheap since they've been discontinued. Definately worth a listen.

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm not trying to be a jerk....really!

Read "The Rules" below...

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Aguilar has a great vintage vibe, but with modern capabilities. You really should check one out if possible.

You really owe it to yourself to hear all of these cabs through your OWN head, and disregard any post that says "you need to get a ______". Everyone's ears, tastes, and settings are different . . .

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    SWR's goliaths sound very nice. I wouldn't say they sound very vintage, but they're an extremely nice and punchy cabinet. I voted that. :)

18. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I used to have an older Mesa Road Ready 4x10 and 1x15. This was the best sounding 'vintage' loud cabs I've played through. I was using a Mesa M-2000 at the time.

If not Mesa, go Ampeg or SWR.

19. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd HIGHLY recommend a tech21 410. I've heard it a few times and it sound much better than an eden 410xst! about $520 and musicians friend.