1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 5 string Bass advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 24, 2006.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have played bass for many years. I am not a advanced player but I do have a lot of experence and my playing style is pretty simple tecniques. Right now my music style is Praise and Worship. I am thinking about something different form my MIM Fender Jazz. It also has Custom shop 60's pups. It has a good sound. However I would like to get something with active pups neck thru body and also a 5 string. I have never played one but I think the added B string would be nice to have. I am looking in the $500 range.

In the next couple weeks I am planning on going out and try some 5 string basses out. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or recomendations. Right now just surfing the web I would like to try out a ESP B-255, Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    squire makes a 5 string so does fender but i find the neck a bit wide.
    alvarez makes an inexpensive 5. what you really want to do is get another 1000 and get your self a warwick 5 neck through.

3. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Since I have a Fender I want something different. A warwick would be awsome.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Well, completely disagree with the warwank suggestion, but the best way to find what you need are to get out and play them. The Peavey is an excellent suggestion

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L Tribute L2500

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Of course, all this is totally subjective - I'd recommend you get out and play a bunch of basses to see which ones you like most. That said, here are some 5-strings in your price range when new that I would recommend you try:

- Yamaha BB415 or BB615 (the 615 is active, I think)
    - Ibanez SR405
    - Schecter C-5
    - Spector Legend 5

and, if you can go used, you have loads of other options.

Best luck.

7. a used Lakland 55-01. could probably find it in the $500-$550 range. nice sits in the mix well tone.

8. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I use a Schecter Studio 5 for my church. I got it off ebay for 500 dollars and imo, it's a bit heavy in the midlo and low range but if you're into that kinda sound for your praise and worship, then more power to you.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    These threads amuse me as there will be as many bass suggestions as the people who play the different basses. You really need to see what you like best by playing and listening. Most of us here know that Musicman puts out the best basses, but you won't know until you play a whole bunch of others. MM subs are just about in your pricerange. I would check them out. If there were no such thing as MM basses and I only had $500 to spend I think my next choice would be a Rockbass. But I sold my Warwick to buy anothother Bongo...

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    A great sounding 5-string I recently played was a Schechter Studio. For $649 this thing sounded so smooth, with good low end and a superb finish. Totally blew my mind for a bass made overseas. And it is Neck-thru...

[​IMG]

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    MusicYo is selling the Toby again.

12. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I purchased an Ibanez sr905 NTF for 560 with the case, and I LOVE it, plays much nicer than a buddie's corvette

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I love the heck out of my The Bass Company 5er.
    They're not neckthrus, but the price is right, and they're awesome instruments for the price. Best B string I've ever played on a bass under $1k.

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

ESP LTD C-305 (used)

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  16. I have the Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman 5-string, and albeit fretless, the neck has a great feel to me. Not too wide at all. My suggestion would be to try the Corvettes. (For some reason, though, the frets seem to feel a little tall to me on them. You'd have to decide for yourself. Felt a little weird, though...)

That all being said, mine's a bolt-on, though and you're looking for a neck-through and it'll probably cost you more, but there's used basses out there! Once you find the one(s) you like, check out the market of used and find yourself that "sweet deal"! Good luck!

17. You wanton, shameless hussy. :scowl: :smug:

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
  19. rashaefer

rashaefer

Mar 20, 2006
    Chatham, IL
    I'm with EastCoastEddie ... I just received my Schecter Stilleto Studio 5 and I'm blown away... great neck, close string spacing, tone control, low action.... sweet for 500 bucks including hard shell bass .... gotta love ebay!!!

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Definitely worth a try. The tone is excellent, and the construction quality is really tough to beat at that price level.