Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5 string Bass Variax, first picture

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vettavillenl, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl

May 17, 2005
  2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Bleh, man, those basses are ugly! I dont particularly like the plastic sound they make either, but each to his own.

4. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl

May 17, 2005
    just uploaded 2 higher quality pictures of both versions

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    now that they offer a 5, i may have to look into them- no, they're not my fave looking basses, but for the $, the concept is interesting.
    thanks for the info! - A

6. Once I get enough money after the Sadowsky purchase, this might just be it for meg. I'm gonna need a fiver for some jobs, and I've understood this is a versatile one.

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, i viewed the movie on the line 6 site and it was quite impressive, then i went to CG because my ATA case was in and tried the 4 string while i was there...

jeez... i couldn't get a decent tone to save my life, i went thru the different models and it just sounded like different eq's to me. I am sorry, just telling it like i heard it. I guess i won't be waiting for one of these after all... the guys on the site sure got use out of it , though!

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i don,t like to have this digital sounds,no woods sounds out of this bass.

10. I dunno guys. I've had weird experiences trying out the variax in stores. The first time I played it, I thought "wow, cool idea".. Second time I played, I thought "Ok, it has some quirks".. Third time I played it, "wow tracking sucks. not worth it"..

Cool novelty bass but I think it needs alot more refinement before being anything impressive. What would be MORE impressive and practical is having the modeling available for anyone to use on any bass..

11. I just sold my Variax after having it since January...

It is a grand concept to have distinct voices that can be chosen at the flick of a switch, but the tone shaping per model felt faux.

Each instrument had it's individual trademark tone and nothing else. I felt as though after the novelty wore off, you were left with a number of boomy sounding models that were ultimately unfulfilling for practical use.

Not to mention the instrument weigh quite a bit, and that's saying something 'cause I work out.

Maybe the technology will improve over time, but for now, I'll stick to the tried and true formula of buying instruments that go for their own individuality as opposed to copping the tone of others.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I want to try one before i decide. The concept seems really great, and they've really intrigued me. However, if they aren't going to sound good-i just soon pickup the few "staple" basses myself. I already own a Ray5, a GOOD J-5, a 4 string P, and then some sort of dual Soaps-and i'm done [and in debt]. That's all

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    10 times more ugly than the 4 version

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

EVERYONE HOLD ON!!!! SETTLE DOWN!

There is a fix for the tone of the Variax bass. It is actually very simple and really improves tonally.

Don't buy one. OR sell it if you have one and by a Sadowsky! LOL :bag:

I had too! Sorry! hehehehe :bag:

15. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    The basses will be just like the guitars. It will take time, but eventually they will come up with better sounding models, and the ones that are out now will cost like $500. Things almost never work well when they first come out, you just have to give it time.

16. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Stoppppp..the Variax bass don,t have a Sadowsky sound in it....if they put a Sadowsky sound maybe this bass will be one of the top sellers,lol....funny comments :D

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I played this Variax 5'er about 6 weeks ago. I thought it was not good at all. Just my opinion but it sounded thin and not woody at all.

18. A big selling point for me would be the syth bass sounds.. I thought the tracking was horrible on them.. My Boss ME-8B tracks way better and I can use whatever bass I want..

19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i hate this thing,the bass sound too digitalized,is like a pedal efects but the whole song or the whole show,i hate this X 100 :scowl:

20. i heard they tried, but couldnt make it work, when they plugged a sadowsky into their compuyters the computers just said "aaah thats perfect we cannot copy it"