New 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by incognito_2us, Apr 11, 2001.

1. incognito_2us

Apr 11, 2001
    I'm a fairly new bass player. I just bought my first 5-string. All 5 of my strings are buzzing and I can't get any sound out of first position. All I hear is buzzing. I tried adjusting the B string to see if that would solve the problem, which I thought it would, but I didn't have any luck. What should I do?
  2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Welcome to TB, Incognito_2us.
    Don't worry, your bass seems to need a little set up.
    Save a little money (30-50$ ?) and take it to a guitar tech who will set it up.
  3. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    It sounds like you definitely need a setup done on your bass.There's no way you should have that much buzzing going on[after the setup I mean] unless there's something terribly wrong with your bass.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome, incognito. BTW, where did you get it? Anyone selling a bass that needs a setup that badly should either;

A. Offer to make it playable when you call them up and give them an earful for cheating you

B. Offer to pay for a pro setup

C. Be shot

D. All the above

How did this thing end up in your hands this way? Buy it used through the mail? From the trunk of a car behind Burger King? ;)
  5. incognito_2us

Apr 11, 2001
    Thanks for your replies people. Well, the bass I bought was an internet buy. I took it to my friend Bob, who custom makes guitars, for a setup. He charged me $30.00. I found out that Tobias basses are being imported and they use different threads than what we use in the U.S. Bob says that the people there don't set the basses up before they sell them because a.) they don't know they are suppose to set them up or b.) they are cheap and don't want to spend the extra money.

So, I learned a lot in the first month of owning my first 5-string. The good thing about getting 'Toby' setup is that Bob assured me that his neck is in great condition. That's really what I was worried about, but everything's cool.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what you have to accept buying off the internet. Still sounds like a good deal though, and $30 is fair for a setup. Plus, being a friend, you can always refer to him if you tweak it and get into trouble, (I'm a tweak freak).

IMO, Tobies are a fine make and should be buzz-free.