NEW 5 STRING BEE BASS/ GRAPHITE NECK!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brado, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I'm having problems getting pics up here...you'll have to follow the link. It's an amazing sounding instrument. The graphite neck is well made/ increadibly consistant throughout (no hot spots or dead spots). It yeilds a very low-end-friendly tone. It's just about the least "graphite-sounding" graphite neck'ed bass I've played. It has an accrylicized curly purpleheart fingerboard w/ 24 frets. The accrylicizing process makes the wood more stable & adds a bit of snap to the front of the note/ especially if you get percussive (slapping/ tapping, ect...)The body is swamp ash & the top is quilted maple. Probably the first thing people have been noticing is that there are 3 pickups on this bass. It's something I had been toying with for a while. The idea finally came to life after some conversations with Reinhard Jedamsik (of DELANO pickups). We went with three of the JSBC's. They are equadistant from eachother; in other 3-pickup basses, the rear two are often close together (acting as one large pickup that can be split up/ tapped).There's a master volume for the bridge & neck, a blend for the bridge & neck/ a seperate volume for the middle pickup/ & a passive tone. Along side all of this is a three band EQ (BEE PRE). There are MANY different tonal options just from the different pickup configurations alone....
    check it out.
    www.beebasses.com
    any questions, please e-mail me.
    www.myspace.com/bradymuckelroy
    [email protected]

2. Here are some pictures hot linked from Fred's website for you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks good! Any clips yet?

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    ARG I can't wait for my Bee to be done!!

4. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Thanks for the help with the pics. No clips yet. As soon as I record the thing, I'll put'em up on myspace.
    This bass sounds like no other BEE I've ever played/ heard. It has many different "vibes." When your using just the bridge pickup, it's like Jaco on steroids....very tight/ mid-rangy voicing (it's very close to the bridge). I haven't had a gig application which needed that extreme of a "speed-funk-midrange machine." The middle pickup (by itself) has a strong/ vocal-like sound. Kind of like a Music Man, but with a bit more throat & some sweet top end. The neck pickup by itself is super phat...Huge low end, gargly mids with plenty of bealch & crispy-sparlky top end. You run the bridge & neck together (like J bass), it has sort of a....dare I say...MTD-mixed with an Alembic vibe! GASP!! It's great for slapping this way. Very aggressive & punchy with a great piano-like snarl. Mix in the middle pickup & it adds a different characteristic to the mids....it brings all of the frequencies to a more even playing field & causes the overall sound of the instrument to become smoother/ more gentle. The bridge & middle pickups, together, are super clean/ nice & hi-fi/ very defined in the midrange & handles a low end boost quite well (for ensemble playing). For lot's of my solo work, this is how you'll probably hear me running this bass (bridge & middle). The neck & middle pickup together are very big sounding. Phat low end & smooth top end. The mids are in there, but a bit less gnarly than that of, say...a P Bass....
    This bass does exactly what I thought it would do & then some.....I must say: it's quite rewarding to have a concept/ put it in the hands of people who can make it happen/ and see-hear-and enjoy the end result. This setup would be pretty dangerous on a fretless!! For some (I know), the setup is too much. It's overwhealming if you're used to a volume,volume, tone setup. The potential for disaster is very high when you get into lot's of knob twisting..... I'll have it out at the next NAMM show & will be doing ALOT of talking folks through the thing.

5. That is really, really attractive.

6. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Wow! I love the three pickup idea, and really love that fingerboard!
    Nice looking bass. :)
    -ScottM

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I don't care for the body shapes of Bees, but that neck is HOT.

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    you should put a double ramp between those pickups :D

amazing quilted top!!!!

9. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I thought about it/ but I would hate to cover up that beautiful top. The only way I would do it would be if I could find a piece of quilted maple that matches up nicely...then, I would consider. It would look nice & clean because of the shape of the pickups. They're not like J pickups/ where you have the bolts on either side....they have two at the top end & one in the bottom end. I dig the feel of a ramp. The bass plays fine the way it is, though. I'm certainly not complaining! :)

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great looking bass. I completely agree about liking the look of J pickups without the "ears" on a modern looking bass.

Does the acrylicized purpleheart fretboard prevent darkening (provide UV protection)? Even if it doesn't, it'll still be gorgeous over time. I'm planning on having an upcoming bass built with a purpleheart board, so I am curious.

Cheers,
    Marshall

11. Brado, I'm extremely jealous. Ever since I went on the Bee Bass website, I've got GAS just from your little order!!

Be scared....

:bag:

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Looks like they're getting their graphite necks from Modulus. They have a legal trademark on that random-looking pattern on the back of the neck.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yeah, I was gonna ask if they did the neck or the licensed it out! Either way, that's disgustingly awesome. :)

And are you still in Buda?? :) Can I come mess with it!!?!? :D

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    the necks aren't modulus necks...fred cut a couple neck blanks and had them outsourced...not sure if that's a secret or not, so i won't say who's doing it, but he's got a 34" scale 5 and 7 string graphite neck available as an option...i'm not sure you can copyright or trademark a random pattern...modulus calls it 'kld' or 'kdl' (thousand ladies dancing, i think is what it stands for)...great looking stuff and i'm looking at getting a graphite neck on the 5 banger i've got happening right now...i keep bouncing between that and a 33.5" scale ash neck...i loved the ash neck on my mtd JJ5...

brady - hot bass!

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Interesting, as it's almost the exact same pattern, and neck joint by the neck pickup, as how Mod does theirs, especially the older non-trussrod models. It could be a similar mold. Either way, it looks killer!

16. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
    Stop giving me (urp) GAS!!!!!!

17. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    The necks are made by the same guy who does the necks for Modulous & ZON. Jerry, at Graphite Guitar Systems (I think...) If anyone knows how to build a graphite neck, it's him!

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Modulus doesn't do their necks in-house anymore..?? News to me if this is the case!

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    from what fred has said, he pretty much sent in a standard bee neck to make the molds...all bolt neck bees have a deep set neck pocket...the only difference that i can see is that the graphite necks have a volute where i can't really tell if the wooden neck bees have a volute...but, yeah, either way it's killer

20. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I was talking with Fred about the posability of having the graphite neck without a truss rod as an option.....like a ZON sonus....or Legacy Ellite...I used to own a ZON & really enjoyed how worry-free it was. The neck was always spot on / indoors/ outdoors/ cold/ hot.....whatever. It could handle just about any alternate tuning I could throw at it too...My bass does have a truss rod....& it got used. It's such a stiff neck, though; you can't expect to move it like you would a wooden neck. It's almost to the point were the neck might be stronger than the rod.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021