Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5-String For Woofy...Your Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Jun 14, 2005.

1. OK - I'm buying a new (well - used) 5-string, and I'd like your opinion. I pretty much have my heart set on a Warwick Corvette standard, but I also REALLY like the look and features of the Lakland Skyline 55-02. I cannot try the Lakland because there are NO dealers nearby. I really like the signature Warwick growl. I've found a great price on a used Lakland and was wondering what my fellow TB'ers would do and why. Can the Lakland get a nice bridge growl? Will the Lakland be more versatile? Is it constructed as well? Oh the questions! Thanks!

2. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Make you a road trip to the next music store that have the lakland.. i'll not recommend to buy a bass just with opinions of other.. ( but i'm with you.. the lakland look awesome!)

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have owned both and like the feel, tone and playability of the Lakland 55-02 better than my Corvette Proline 5. Neck profile of the Lakland is flatter, thinner - more comfortable in my opinion. I have owned 8 Warwicks - all gone. I currently own 4 Laklands. Just to help make your choice harder - I prefer the sound of my Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 with J-Retro preamp over my 55-02.

Eggman

4. Can anyone else comment on the questions I asked in my original post?

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lakland.

IMHO, way more versatile, every bit as nice, a much faster neck profile, prolly not quite as heavy, balances better on a strap, and string spacing that's not too ultra tight (standard/wide 19mm vs 16.5mm ultra-narrow on the Warwick). Also, the Lakland growls and slices great with that MM style pickup.