1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new 5-string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Traveler, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    I am looking in to buying a new fretless 5-string bass, what should it be? An Aria Steve Bailey 5-string fretless, for $600 (new), or a Samick SAKB5-6690FL for $700 (new)

2. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Traveler
    Are you limited to those choices or have you narrowed your search to those two choices? I don't like the Aria Steve Bailey series, I think they look kind of cheesey and I don't like the tone. I can't say anything about the Samick because I have not heard it although I think it is a classy looking bass.
    Check out ebay, I've seen really good Warwick's and Musicman Stingray's for less than $700.00.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

In that price range, I would consider the Cort Artisan B5 and the MTD Kingston 5 way before I would those other 2.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Aria's aren't bad basses, IMO, though I'm not a huge fan of the J's they use in the 4s and 5s.

Like someone else said, check out Ebay. A Warwick Corvette makes a KILLER fretless, and if you wait long enough, you should be able to score one off ebay for less than $1000 easily.