Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5 String in progress thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey all,

Just wanted to take up some more space on the talkbass.com/forum servers with another bass in progress thread.

This one is going to be a DC-1, with a 5 piece neck through of ebony, purpleheart and flamed maple with black limba body wings and an ebony fingerboard. 34" scale, 24 frets. Planning on going with all black hardware, two Bartolini P4 pickups, and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

The body wings and fingerboard aren't glued down in these pics, I just placed them there to get a visual for how all the woods will go together. Not too bad.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    wow, that looks great!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow...oh dear, I wish I had money. I wish I had money so much!

4. I love that shape! Do you have any plans on doing a fretless 4 anytime in the future?

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Actually yes, I've got one other 5 string in the works right now with a buckeye burl top, and then I'm going to make a couple of 4 strings and probably make at least one of them a fretless. I'm planning on of them to have one of the stabilized leopard wood fingerboards and a macassar ebony top and headstock overlay with an swamp ash body... haven't quite decided on neck woods yet....

:^)~

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Bass Kahuna... I see your going with CDM Manufacturing for the case.. Dana and Craig are very good friends of mine and they build great racks and cases.. :hyper:

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    No Kidding?!? I went to high school with Dana, he was two years ahead of me. He and Huds (Bill Hudden) used to be in a bunch of bands in high school when I was in high school bands too, and after, and I was their FOH sound guy and roadie for a year or so when they were "Kid Sister" and "Lamont", and Craig was their light guy. At one point they were being booked by Fred Caserta, who was also handling Talas at the time, and I ran sound for them when they opened for Talas once or twice.

Next time you see Craig, ask him about the show the did at some teen center out on the lake, and what I did to him when he was up on the step ladder taking down the lights!.... Man, I had some great times roading for those guys when I was between bands.

Yeup, when I decided to include a hardshell ATA style case with all of my basses, I called Dana up to see if CDM would be willing to supply them for me. No other choice for case suppliers as far as I was concerned.

8. SCT1422

Yes, I've known them for almost 15 years.. Dana use to take bass lessons form me.. I live in N. Tonawanda myself, but grew up in West Seneca... I've been trying to get Dana off his arse and back to playing... They build all my racks and utility cases.. Do you have a website for your basses.. Steve..

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Steve,

I grew up in Hamburg, went to Erie Community College for Computer Technology, etc. Do you remember a Buffalo based Kiss copy band called "Rasputin"? At one point I was in a band with their bassist Steve Kay and drummer Paul Steinbruckner, along with a bunch of other typical bar bands of the time.

The site for my basses is:

www.gwbasses.com

The site for me as a bassist is:

www.basskahuna.com

I'm like Dana, in that I used to play guitar before discovering the real instrument, the Bass!

I saw in a recent issue of the Guild of American Luthiers magazine that Top Shelf music is for sale. Do you know if it has sold yet?

10. SCT1422

Thats pretty funny, I also went to ECC and got a degree in Computer Tech.. I graduated in 92'... Wasn't Mick and John also in Rasputin as well.. I worked with them a few years ago... And is that the Steve Kay who use to play in Two Hills, I took a few lessons from him many years ago... Steve...

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yeah, they were. If I remember they used to call John "Boo", but he didn't like it much. I graduated ECC in `83.

Yeup, that's the same Steve Kay. Kay isn't his real last name, but he went by "Kay" as a stage name. Funny that you took a few lessons from him, small world!

12. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I've spent a little time on this one, too. Here's a few pics...

[​IMG]

Truss rod and graphite rods are in, headstock is carved, fingerboard is slotted, radiused and glued down.

[​IMG]

Neck blank is ready to carve the neck shape / profile, then on go the body wings...

13. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The neck profile is carved and the inlays are in. Next I'll level and polish the fingerobard and install the frets.

[​IMG]

Neck Profile is carved

[​IMG]

Close up of the volute carving

[​IMG]

Close up of the inlays. All are 8mm abalone dots, 12th and 24th fret are 8mm abalone, 6mm white MOP, then 4mm abalone.

14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The body wings are on, now it looks like a bass!

[​IMG]

Body wings glued and clamped

[​IMG]

The clamps are off....

[​IMG]

And finally, with the extra "tail" from the neck blank cut off

15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sweet bass :smug:

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW, that's turning out to be one nice bass!!!!!!!!

17. awsome looking design man and looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished project.

18. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    An hour or so with the chisel and other hand tools (files, scrapers, etc...) and I was able to get the neck heel carved this past saturday afternoon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I love your bass. You should try using an angle grinder with a $5 sanding bit from Wal-Mart to do your shaping. The bit that I use looks like little squares of sand paper on a circular bit. Cuts the wood like butter. I'll try and send you a picture of it if I can think about it later.

20. that's really nice