Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5 String Metal Axe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joiner, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Okay guys, after working again, I´m in the market for a new 6 or 5 string. Some of you might now that I have a Sadowsky 5 (24 Fret 5, Quilted Top, 59 Sunburst), but I now want something special.

A bass just for Metal. Just some characteristics that come to my mind first:

Sound:

- Growling, and Dark, a Killer B and a cool G

Handling:

- Fast, Good For Picking

Look

- Black. But not simply plain, but black with some effects, like some fading red in the middle or something or something like that.

The contenders are:

Esh Stinger VI / V, Real Gothic
    Warwick Streamer LX Broad Neck /w Seymour Duncan PUs
    Phantom Guitars Mephisto I 5 / 6

Price Range: Between $1,000 and $2,500

Any opinios or good basses for that ?
    Please - no B.C.Rich, okay ?

Best thanks !

David

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    out of curiousity, what style of metal are you playing?

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    MM stingray anyone?

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Warwick FNA, or perhaps even FNA Jazzman. Relatively inexpensive too ;)

5. Modulus Quantum 5 (or 6), no contest in my mind.

6. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    See! Go with Modulus dude.

7. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    By the way. Modulus is really expensive in Germany. I can get a Warwick Streamer LX BN 5 for about 1,250 Dollars here, the others are in that price range to. The Modulus goes about 2,500 and thats a bit too much for me !

David

8. Ah--would've helped to know that. In that case, look into Status; their all-graphite model rather intrigues me.

9. I've fallen in love w/ those Mods....I want one of those puppies now.

10. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Id have to go with Analogkid, in Europe, the Status' should be cheaper than they are in the states, so that would make a great bass for you. The Stealth-2 would be an AWESOME bass for just about anything. Very loud, and very cool sounding. Theyre about $3200 direct to the states, but you should be able to find them for less there...i hope. If not, you could always opt for their wood bodied/graphite necked basses, which should be much less. Nevertheless, theyre great basses.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <font color=red><b>You have a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string & you don't think it's good for metal!!!!</b></font> That is one of the bast basses I've ever played!!!. If you considering buying another bass, I'd go with a Spector NS-5 CRFM in trasn-black or cherry burst. It is the Czeck model & it will cost you less than $1500. It has EMG p/u's & BTS system, AA quilted maple body, etc.

12. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Hi,

I know the Sadowsky good for metal. I love the bass, I play everything with it. But does a Sadowsky lok like a Metal axe ?

Best regards,
    David

13. I agree with the last post. I play metal and own 3 Czech Spectors (a four and 2 fives). They look and sound great for metal (Rex Brown from Pantera has played Spectors for 7 years now). They have killer deals on them on www.musiciansfriend.com! I believe they still have some Czech NS Spectors for $900 (4 string) and $1000 (5 string). Half their usual cost.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think those cheap Spectors don't warm that much if you happen to live in Europe - shipping+toll+tax ain't that cheap. On the second hand, you prolly could get those Spectors as cheap in Europe since they are made here.