1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 5 string on the cards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arpeggiator, Mar 19, 2009.

1. guess what time it is? its time to ask your opinions on what 5 strings i should look at!

sorry about this i have rolled my eyes many times at threads like this but we are all guilty.:p

my budget is around £1000 pounds i could streach to £1100

as stated, gotta be a 5 string, 35" scale if can do, active pick ups are a must. weight isnt an issue, needs to have versatile tonal possabilities preferably 2 pick ups.

"my tone" is Big warm with nice bit of mid growl with little treble. i do tap a fair bit (hence the active pick ups) and a fast neck would couple with this nicely. i am not opposed to distinctive tonal charecters of certain makes so please suggest as many or as few as you like.

also open to pick up/preamp upgrades for my current bass (see sig)

cheers for reading.

2. Before I say anything, what's the pound/dollar exchange rate right now. I generally rough it out at 2 bucks a pound, but that is a rough. Is that still in the ballpark?

3. nah its no wear near that at the minute its $1.40 to the pound so call it $1500 is my max

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    used q5 with barts IMHO (slight bias)

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Play a couple of the higher-end G&L basses...they have a lot of the features you've described.

Enjoy hunting down your new 5-string!

6. thanks for the suggestions so far. G&L is a make i havent thought about id love a modulus if one comes up used iw ill be looking into it.

7. jsut giving the thread a bump. and i love the look of the G&L 2500 in blueburst! did you have an specific G&L in mind?

8. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    No really...but the 2500, SB-2 and JB-2 are all pretty sweet (though I'm not 100% sure if the SB and JB come in 5-string versions...).

9. found out my local music shop is a G&L dealer so im asking them to get an L2500 in for me to try out,

10. Highly recommend the Ibanez SR505. Not sure how much its worth in pounds but in AUD it totals between $1,300 and $1,500 depending on who you buy it from.

11. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    5 string, 35' scale... Lakland 5501 or 5502

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    look at the bass in my signature....not active but the CHIsonics give you alot of thump and grind!! also - you will have an option of going between single and double coil at the pull of a knob!!!!

PS - it is 35"....

PPS - if you need active, a 55-02 would do it!