New 5-String! RB-5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, May 4, 2001.

1. First, let me thank all of you who offered advice and experience on bridge selection, string selection, and soforth with my trials and tribulations with my AmStd J-V. I really appreciate it.

However, I made the decision today to quit putting any more time and effort into getting this bass to where I wanted it. I traded it in this afternoon. My new bass?? A Fender RB-5. I had played these a few times before and really liked them. In fact, as I've stated before, if I'd had a chance to play one before I bought the J-V, I would have sprung the extra bucks to get the RB-5.

I got off work early today and dropped in one of favorite guitar places. There was a Shoreline Gold RB-5 hanging on the wall. I took it down, played it for quite a while, found I REALLY liked it. So I went home, got the J-V, took it back. They looked it over, offered me $700 for it, and I took it.

The RB-5 was used, but doesn't have a crease, dent, major scratch, or anything on it. The case, the original tweed, still has the plastic on the case latches. The bass looks to be virtually unused. After getting it home, I cleaned it up and was amazed. Other than some pick scratches on the pickguard, there are no scratches on the bass. It's like new. The difference after tax, title, and license were added, $76. I will get down on my knees, again, tonight before I go to bed and thank the Good Lord for my good fortune. I'm one happy bassist at this particular moment.

I can't wait to use this bass on my first gig, which will be Sunday afternoon. We have an outdoor gig at a big festival. I report how it went afterwards.

But for now, I am a new member of the RB-5 clan.
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Sammy - welcome to the Roscoe Beck club! I'm digging mine a lot, too.
    WOW!! They PAID you $700 to TAKE an excellent RB5???!!! ;) Just kidding. That's a great deal for the condition you said it was in. I started to write a review of mine, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I had a few (minor) criticisms, but overall I like mine a lot. I've had it for a few months now and am STILL getting used to having five strings (after having played solely on 4-stringers for 28 years). Gettin' there, though. I hope your new instrument really shines at the festival.

- Mike
  3. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Congratulations Sammy. I've had an RB5 since they came out and I must it's one of the best basses out there not just for the price but for the sound. My main basses are F Basses but I still use my RB5 regularly and never get tired of hearing it's huge tone.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congrats, man. You got a great deal both ways!
  5. Welcome to the club. Instructions for the secret handshake will be in a forthcoming email. :)
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000