1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 5 string wanted, any tips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moopahtroopa, Feb 1, 2017.

1. I'm looking for a new 5 string bass for between 800-1600 dollars. I am going to be using it as am all arounder(mostly jazz and funk). I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has. I would appreciate it even more if someone were able to sell me a bass outright.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Lots of great choices in that price range. Not selling any of mine! A Sire M7 is a lot of bass and is just below the low end of your price range.

Have you checked the classifieds here? Almost always some great deals to be found there.

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Many will disagree but in my biggest complain in 5 strings is that many basses does not offer a good B string accross all the neck, most of the 5 string offer a good open B, C and D but after that starts to getting muddy with lack of overtones, on that price range I would recommend:

a) Dingwall NG2, there is one in the classified section rigth now, nothing compared with a Dingwall B string.

b) Lakland DJ5, great jazz bass, the best in this price range IMHO.

c) Stingray 5 or Bongo great basses with the best B string in 34 in scale ( IMHO)

Good luck !

4. Thanks for your help!

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Big ol +1.

Keep your eyes on the Hot Deals and Bazaar Basses section of the forum. If you don't know exactly what you want an extremely good deal may sway you. There there is a beautiful STR 5's in your price range that is quite nice.