Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5-string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flambeu, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Flambeu

Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Israel
    Hi everyone,

Finally, I've managed to save quite a sum (around 2000$), and I'm planning to buy a new bass.

I'd really like to hear your opinions, based on your experience and the size of my wallet :)

Since I'm travelling to Germany next month, Warwick is certainly an option, but the Roscoe Beck V also looks interesting, and I should check if it's availabe here... However, every company's an option, I'm pretty open-minded about it, yet :)

As for playing styles, I play mostly rock, funk and fusion, with a little bit of blues and jazz.

Many thanks...

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey Millennium 5. Killer tone, awesome B string, bolt-on.
    Peavey Cirrus. See above, neck-thru.
    MM Stingray 5. An industry standard. GREAT tone, the B string is not as good as the Peaveys.
    Roscoe Beck 5. Never played one, but I sure would like too.
    Warwicks: avoid their cheaper stuff and go with their more expensive models.
    Reverend Rumblefish 5: Passive, great tones, tight B string. Retro-cool styling.

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I highly recommend the Fender Roscoe Beck 5.
    I own one and I just ordered another. It has a great passive tone and a classic look. There are plenty of choices in that price range.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm also a huge fan (and owner) of the Fender Roscoe Beck V. Incredibly versatile bass, and it should cover all styles of music that you're interested in. However it's worth noting that it's a passive bass... some people prefer active.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Eshenbaugh 5. Trust me, you'll love yourself for it! :D

6. Yamaha TRB-5 and G&L L-2500!!! :D

7. You may want to consider the German made Esh basses. My suggestion (go figure) would be the made in the neighboring Czech Republic Spector Bass!!!:D

8. Flambeu

Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Israel
    First, thank you for your replies.

Tomorrow I'll tour the nearby stores and see if any of them has the Roscoe Beck V, I read so many good things about it here I must give it a look :)

Petch, which Warwicks do you mean?
    Woodchuck and Mr. Dead, could you please tell me more about these basses (the Eshenbaugh and the Esh)? I havn't heard about them anywhere.

Thanks.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The Streamer Standard is the one to pass on. NOT the same quality as their other models...

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    When you go to Germany, look for all European stuff you can find! Like BassLab, Bassline, Phantom, Schack, HotWire, HumanBase, all german. And then all the french and italian, not to mention Neusser of Slovakia and lots of other east europeans!
    TRY'EM ALL!

And have fun!

11. PABass

PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    I own and have owned a few Roscoe Beck V's they are to me one of the best values out there, I have found mine at bassgear.com. Excellent shape for $800.00. They are even a great value brand new, there is one at Parkway Music in Clifton Pk. Ny, thet should treat you right, Tell them Philly Jeff sent you, they know me. Acacias are also great used values! I have an RBass I could sell you for $2000.00 I have it posted for $2300.00, e-mail me at jlv1030@aol.com and I will send you pix.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For 2K? Get a Modulus Quantum 5. Excellent excellent stuff!

...er, any places in Germany carry them? (I can't imagine not...)