Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spyde223, Mar 1, 2002.

1. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    Ok, I'm in a band and for some reason the guitarist likes to tune down to C. It drives me crazy 'cause my bass sounds really poopy tuned that low, I'v tried to tell him to tune back up. I've said "It's an E string, not a C string" but everyone knows how stuborn guitarists are. So I've decided to get a 5 string. I want one with a good rock tone, perferably tight string spacing, don't care if it is active or not, and it needs to be around $500-$1000. I play through a Peavy Firebass and a 15" Bag End cab. Any suggestions, I'm willing to look for a used one too.

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    There's nothing in the world worse than a bass that sounds "poopy".:D

If you check through the posts, you'll find many discussions regarding 5 strings in your price range.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

3. How about a Reverend? Check out www.reverendmusical.com . They start selling direct on March 15th (meaning a better price for you)! Carvin B5s and LB75s also have tight string spacing, but the action on my 4-string Reverend is the best I've ever known! I'm not sure how much Spector ReBop 5-strings are, but maybe you could check those out as well.:) Maybe a used G&L L-2500?

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    If you're looking for tight string spacing then a higher end Soundgear might be the answer, actually I think all the Ibanez basses have pretty tight spacing, perhaps a BTB would be more your thing...

5. You always hear good things about the MTD Kingston. They are definitely in your price range too.

Geoff

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    why doesnt he just get a 7string guitar? :confused:

7. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i think used is the way to go.. but... mtd kingston, ibanez BTB series, peavey ( i dont remember the series... it was the one below the cirrus line.. pretty good i thought ), carvin, you might check out fender 5strings.. alot of people like those, hmm... i cant think right now..

8. Try a Yamaha aswell, mm, TRBII might be just in your price range. Excellent basses.

sim

9. $500-$1000 puts a lot of wood within your grasp. Just a thought: If you like tight spacing you can still get a Yamaha John Myung 6 for about $700 I think. I've never played one, but, a few guys that did all remarked about the tight spacing. I have a Yamaha BB5N II. It's got medium tight spacing and it sounds great for a $400.00 bass. ($500 w/case & tax) If I were you, I'd first decide if you want to go used or new. If you go used, your $ will go a bit further. Don't go with Musicman if you want tight spacing.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of the basses recommended here do not have tight spacing. Can you tell us why you prefer it? I know, it's your personal preference, but why?

If narrow spacing is what you want, forget about the Ibanez BTB, Yamaha TRB, MTD Kingston, Peavey Millenium, or Reverend Rumblefish. Most of these basses have medium wide to very wide spacing, which is what seems to be what a lot of people want these days.

For tight spacing, there is the Ibanez Soundgear, Carvin LB75, Fernandes, Musicyo Steinbergers, or a custom job, like an Alembic.

11. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I have kind of small hands and I used of playing a 4 string obviously. I also hate having to reach really far, I want more of a guitar feel with close strings. I guess I would like a slim nut and neck but that goes hand in hand with string spacing. What I really don't want is a wide neck, ughh, poopy to me.

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ya good just string your bass up BEAD and skip buying a new bass all together. Just a thought.

13. check out the Dean Edge custom, Edge Select, and Razor NT basses. I think for the money these are some really nice instruments.

the Edge Select, and Razor NT are neck thru basses with tight string spacing. and the Edge Custom is a Bolt on. all made from top quality materials and electronics, and in your price range.

O yeah, take a look at the Edge Improv too. it's basicly the same as the Edge select, but with a flame maple top and gold hardware. if your into that.

14. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Warwicks have tight spacing, maybe a used lower end model would be around your pricerange?

15. embellisher

The reason that I asked is because I have small hands too, and the first 5 and 6 stringers that I bought had narrow string spacing with average profile(front to back thickness) necks. I wasn't ever very happy with the feel of either of them.

Later, I tried wide necked 5 strings with thin profile necks(Zon, Pedulla, Peavey Cirrus) and realized that the profile was the most important thing for my comfort, not the width.

I now own a Pedulla Rapture 5 string, with a very wide, thin neck, a Zon Sonus Custom 5 with a fairly wide, thin neck, and a Peavey Cirrus 6 with a wide, thin neck. Small hands and all, I get on with them very well. And the wide spacing at the bridge makes fingerstyle and slap playing much easier, like on a 4 string.

Something to think about.

16. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I tried a standard five Fender Jazz at a local music store, it felt like the neck was wide and had a thin profile. Needless to say I didn't like it. I would a skinnier neck with a thicker profile, something to fill me hand up. Maybe that helps.

17. embellisher

Actually, the Jazz 5 has a narrower neck than my Pedulla, and a chunkier profile. It's chunkier than a lot of 5 stringers. And narrower than average.

18. If that's what you're looking for, then a Warick is definatly the way for you to go. They have fairly narrow (side to side) necks that are thick (front to back). Just for the record though, that isn't the most comfortable neck shape. An MTD Kingston or Heir would really be more comfortable to play for a long time. They have a narrow nut with 3/4 inch spacing at the bridge. I think that you would adjust to that better, but I'm not you, so I don't know. You might also look into a DP Custom. You can have any shape neck you want and any electronics, woods and hardware, too.

19. well, my input is definately the Ibanez BTB series. i picked up a 406 for $900(canadian, so about 600 yank dollars), and i'm sure the 405 is a little cheaper. Tight string spacing, but i like it. Although i have freakishly long fingers, so it doesnt matter to me... but on a different note, i'd say go with the 6 string, not 5. i skipped 5, and glad i did. i love that high C, takes ya right out of the bass clef and into treble, so throw on some distortion and ya can make better solos than your measly guitar player with his small little geetar.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Some choices in your price range you might want to look at are the MTD Kingston, Yamaha RBX-765A (I think I might sell my Kingston for it), Reverend Rumblefish 5L, the new Lakland Skyline series, or, as has been mentioned before, the Ibanez SR. The Ibanez might have the ideal string spacing you're looking for.