Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 55-02 and Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    My Skyline 55-02, in a black Lakland hard case, arrived about a week ago (pics will follow shortly). This Natural gloss/Maple bass arrived factory packed with the standard factory setup.

I had to raise the action just a little bit, and have been playing it at least an hour per day since its arrival. For an initial (very preliminary) evaluation, I played it, put it down, then picked up and played one (or both) of my other two basses (a Peavey Cirrus 5 USA and a G&L Tribute L2500) for comparison. Results as follows:

SOUND
    The 55-02 is very smooth. Has nice “b” string tone quality. I’d put it in there ahead of the Tribute L2500 but slightly behind the Cirrus 5 overall. Rankings: (1) Cirrus, (2) 55-02, (3) L2500

NECK
    I really like the neck on this 55-02! Wide, fairly thin and fast. By comparison, the Trib L2500 neck feels like a tree trunk. But again, I’d have to rank the Cirrus 5 ahead of the 55-02. The feel of the Cirrus neck is something to die for – don’t know if any bass could beat it out in this category. Rankings: (1) Cirrus, (2) 55-02, (3) L2500

VERSATILITY
    Haven’t gigged with it yet, but from what I’ve heard thus far, it can obtain quite a variety of sounds. I have, however, gigged with the L2500 and found it to be incredible with respect to sound options. Also, the L2500 doesn’t take a back seat to anything – the sound is bright, aggressive, and nothing overpowers it! The Cirrus, in club gigs, offers a good sound but one which can be overshadowed by other instruments. I’ve also used the Cirrus in church services and found that the sound is probably perfect for that setting. Rankings:
    (1) L2500, (2) 55-02, (3) Cirrus

OTHER STUFF
    Build quality is excellent in the L2500 and the 55-02, but superior in the Cirrus. But the Cirrus lacks one feature which is found on both the L2500 and the 55-02, and that is a pre-amp by-pass. I love this feature and don’t know why all manufacturers don’t offer it as an option.

CONCLUSIONS
    No buyer’s remorse for the 55-02 here! I think it’s going to fit into my arsenal very well, used as a backup for church services and a backup/primary for club gigs. Time will tell if these functions remain that way – after all, the 55-02 isn’t broken in yet (for that matter, neither is the L2500, bought new only about 6 weeks ago). But right now, if I had to pick only one of the three to keep, it would have to be the Cirrus. Hell, if the neck was just a smidgen wider and it had a pre-amp by-pass, I’d marry it! You’d have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers with a crowbar!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Your assesment of the 55-02 is pretty close to mine. It has a great neck and nice sound options, however, compared to the Tribute L-2500, the 55-02 reqally makes that bass look like a great deal. The Tribute has closer string spacing and a different neck profile, but it has astounding electronics for a bass that is barely over $600! It's B string is pretty solid too.

It's funny, when I first joined TB, everyone recommended that I get a Tribute so I did, however, I was always fascinated with the 55-02. Now that I have one, I like it, but I also realize just how good my old Tribute was. Just goes to show that often what we have may be much better than we give it credit for being. It's just that GAS clouds our perception, and the one we want always seems like the best.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just got rid of my L2500 because I needed the money, and kept the 55-02 instead. Since I play afro cuban, jazz and r&b it's really the better choice. The L2500 is a bit too aggressive, but I must try a Peavey Cirrus now!!!

My 55-02 is also here to stay.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Both of you guys hit on a key feature: the 55-02 is not an agrressive sounding bass (at least not with Bartolinis.) That said, it sound fine, and it is ultra playable with its thin neck and wide string spacing. I guess I need an agressive bass to go with my warm or mellower 55-02.:smug:

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Or, as a few have tried, put Basslines into your 55-02. I've heard it makes it growly and punchy and like a new bass.

Personally, I'm getting Nordstrands to put in my 55-02, then I'm taking the Barts from my 55-02 and plopping them in my Carvin 6 string.

It will be bliss :)

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know about the Basslines option, but then I would still like a mellow bass too.:)

7. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Finally, procrastination was defeated and here is the pic of my new 55-02. Shown in the next pic is the whole arsenel.

Attached Files: