New 6 (Carvin carziness within).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G, Jun 30, 2005.

1. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Just got my new Carvin a couple days ago.

Claro Walnut top
    Walnut sides
    5 piece maple and walnut neck
    black hardware
    passive single coils, vvt setup

She rocks.
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Cool Dude, I can't wait to check it out ! Is it neck thru or bolt on? Picture is a little dark.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sounds sweet!!!

Wish I could see it.... ;) :p
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like that top, I wonder what it looks like with a good fill flash...
  5. Another happy Carvin customer!!! :bassist:
  6. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Here's another pic... I am not much of a photographer.

Funny story about this bass: It is a wedding gift for me from my future wife. She chose all the options without any assistance from me. Anyway, the bass shows up and Carvin had built is with walnut body sides instead of the standard alder. I called them about it and they said, "Oops. You still like it?" Oops is right for them. Yay! is more my style right about now.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    WHAT?! A Carvin I actually like? Wow. That's a pretty nice lookin' bass!
  8. Thats beautiful

I didnt know they made passive 6 strings :eyebrow:
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Whoah, they don't! Maybe that's a new option (or G's future wife talked them into it, they'll do some oddball customizations once in a while.)
  10. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Uh.....yeah, how in the heck did she get them to do that? That was the first thing I noticed too.

GREAT looking bass!
  11. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I am not exactly sure how she got them to build it passive... Not like it is that hard to do, after all.

Step 1: Drill fewer holes in top.
    Step 2: Leave out preamp.

But I am loving it. After playing my Modulus for so long the shorter scale feels so homey. I put some super steps on it last night and did a little tweaking. Plays so good!
  12. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That is, without a doubt, one of the nicest Carvins I have ever seen. SWEET!!! Does it have a matching headstock? Let's see the back!

13. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    To most normal people it would seem an easy thing to do. But at Carvin, they are VERY reluctant to allow options that involve something outside the norm of their CNC programming. They don't offer a passive option for the 5 and 6 string basses, so to do it means someone has to stop the CNC machine in the middle and change the knob layout and NOT drill a battery compartment.

Usually their answer is no when these kinds requests are made, unless you get the right sales rep who is willing to do it. Even then they warn you that by requesting this custom option, the instrument can't be returned if you don't like it (the warranty against defects still applies of course).

Having been a Carvin enthusiast for years, and personally telling them they really should offer passive versions of all their basses, your bass is very interesting to me! This also might be interesting to folks who don't like Carvin's preamps and have been asking for years for passive 5 and 6 strings and been told no. :D
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I know my interest has been aroused, since I'm more of a passive electronics guy.

It's funny though, the special custom option cost in making a passive 5 or 6 string probably negates the cost of the preamp to begin with. But hey, less holes in your bass and you don't have to rip the preamp out yourself. ;)
  15. G

Apr 12, 2000
    This bass is killin'! I'll have more pics up tomorrow.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice man, I've been gassin for a sixer but just dropped a load of cash on a Marcus Miller. Darn you!
  17. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    That's a great bass! Like everyone else, I've never seen a passive LB76 (and I've seen *alot* of Carvin basses).

I'd love to have some additional pics for inclusion on the Carvin Museum ( - that's unusual enough that I'm sure people would be interested in it.

And if you haven't been to the Museum, come on by!
  18. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Dude, you have my dream bass. I never lusted after a 6, but now.....mmmm I dunno. Drop dead gorgeous. Congrats!

BTW, I hope if I have a future wife she'll buy me a bass. You're a lucky guy. :)

19. That one looks really hot! :cool: