Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 6-string from Peavey!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just saw the new Peavey Fury 6-String bass at http://www.peavey.com . This may be the affordable 6-string I've been waiting for. (No more half-hearted consideration of an Ibanez, Dean, Cort...)

I can't wait to check one out at a Peavey dealer :) .

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks sweet, but bear in mind that it is made in Korea, more than likely in the Samick factory with Ibanez and Dean, or in the Cort factory.

But it is indeed a sweet looking bass, and knowing Peavey, the price will be very competitive with other imports.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Oy Contré!
    Peavey Basses are made in U.S.A.
    You can read this at the Fury Models Page...
    "HandCrafted in the USA"

Also... Isnt Ibanez made in the Cor-TEK factory??

4. embellisher

I find that hard to believe, in spite of what the website says.

These basses are part of their 'International Series', all of which are made in Korea.

I'll have to go to their discussion board later and check it out.

5. Any Peavey bass with Fury in the name is American made. Well.. I don't know about the original Fury from the 80's that was really screwed up looking, but my more Pbass like Fury from the 90's is American.

6. In fact, as far as I know, the only Korean Peavey's currently in production are the Milestone series.

7. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Yes, I agree that the 6 string Fury would probably be a great buy.I've thought about getting a sixer for quite a while But they always seem to cost more than I'm willing to pay. I definetly think that you should check it out. I know that I will. Scooby.

8. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000

How much the 6 string Fury cost ??

9. embellisher

I guess that is my mistake on the Fury.

I know the Fury was always made in USA before, but now that they say International Series on the headstock I thought that production had been moved overseas.

In the past, all International Series guitars and basses were imports.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

http://www.peavey.com/mi/fury_series.html

The string-spacing looks worryingly narrow - I can't imagine that you would be able to get your fingers in between the strings to play some types of fingerstyle or "popping". This could seem good to start with, if you haven't played a 6 before, but will almost certainly prove a severe limitation in the long run.

11. Does it say international series on the headstock? I didn't look at the closeup. On Peavey's Fury series page it says all Furies are US made.. hmmm..

12. You're right, it does say international series. It's Korean then, my mistake.

13. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    But then why does it say handcrafted in the US on the page? Oh well, not my problem :p

[Edited by Sofa King on 10-12-2000 at 07:16 PM]

14. embellisher

there are some good basses coming out of there nowadays.

How much is it?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    DANG! I am mondo confused. You're all so concessionary, where is the silly thing made? OK, how many say Korea? OK, how many U.S.? OK, how many no opinion? One.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Has anyone actually found a netstore that carries Peavey?
    Would be interested to check prices now and then over the net. I have found one european netstore which carries Peavey, but only amps.

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I contacted Peavey through their Guitars Forum, and per A.J. @ Peavey, the Fury 6-String is made "overseas". :(:):confused:
    (I still want to check one out)

I also e-mailed Peavey customer service for a list price - still waiting for a reply.

18. Peavey does not allow online sales of their products. They also do not allow any one dealer of their products to charge more or less for anything than what Peavey says they should charge.

I call it price-fixing, at the customer's expense.

19. embellisher

The main problem that I have with Peavey is that they no longer publish suggested retail prices.

IMHO, this makes it very hard to tell if you're getting a 'great deal' or getting screwed.

20. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I wonder if it's made of Pine. Hmmmmmmm.......