1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 6 string (Mtd Kingston vs Peavy cirrus vs Yamaha trb)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DylanSK96, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Mtd Kingston AG

25.0%
  2. Peavy Cirrus

41.7%
  3. Yamah trb

16.7%
  4. Something else

16.7%
  1. DylanSK96

DylanSK96

Dec 4, 2019
    UK
    Hi, I am a new member to the site so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
    I am looking at getting a new 6 string in the new year, coming from a 5 string Ibanez srsc805.
    I work full time in dep bands and on cruise ships so I want something that will be tonaly quite versatile.
    As the title states the 3 basses I’m looking at are the MTD Kingston series (mainly the ag model), the peavy cirrus, and the Yamaha trb. Being in the UK I have the chance to play the mtd and the Yamaha but I won’t be able to try the peavy cirrus. Having an mtd kz5 frettless I am fond of the neck with how sleek it is but I also enjoy the thicker neck of my Ibanez. I also want the bass to be able to play the music I enjoy playing for myself this is stuff like dirty loops. So incorporation of a lot of slap and finger style technique.
    If anyone has any other suggestion around the £800 - £1300 price range I would like to hear those as well.
    Thanks to any future replies
    Dylan

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Hmmmm, well, you can't go wrong with any of those 3, they're all great sounding and playing instruments.

Based purely on the fact that you like to slap, I'd go for the MTD - that extra string spacing makes it way easier. I've got a 6 string Cirrus, and the thin string spacing (17.5 mm) makes it more likely that I'd slap two strings at once by accident. Luckily I almost never slap, so the Cirrus neck is perfect for me.

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Yamaha TRB!!!!

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    A Tune TWB63
    20191204_182910.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Samatza and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Mtd’s are designed for all around tone and are slap machines.
    Peaveys are very middy, not in a bad way but they have a pretty specific tone. The late 90’s cirrus Basses with block letters always seemed to be better constructed than the 2000’s script Basses.
    I can’t really weigh in on Yamaha.

The downside for me on slapping a 6er is that it is hard to find anything with 18mm or wider string spacing. My 6er is an 18mm and it definitely feels tighter on my fingers than my 19mm 5ers.

good luck.

6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    The Tune basses I posted above has 19mm spacing.