New 6 String Stretched Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 88tuner, Oct 20, 2004.

1. im not a fan of the body shape or 2 extra strings ;) ...although the woods are HOT HOT HOT..and i luve the 2 tone headstock and the non position marker fingerboard..the gold hardware compliments the wood....i give it 7 cheese slices out of 10.....if it the body shape was a bit more....comfortable and user friendly looking it would of scored about 8 and a half....going from my guess on what the tone would be like, which im guessing a more midrangey/barky stingray type tone
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dig it. It's rock vibe going on that's all "I'm a 6 string. Whatcha gonna do?"
  3. for some reason that pic reminds me of alien ant farms smooth criminal film clip :confused:
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    This bass looks like a VAST improvement over some of your past ones. This time you've been able to keep a unique shape without it becomes formless or unbalanced. The wood looks great too, and I'm glad you kept the neck woods consistently symmetrical this time. This looks like a fun bass to play (can I have it? ;)) Great job!
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    It's... interesting? :D

The bass-side horn looks a wee bit skinny... you sure it ain't gonna break off or something?
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think it looks really nice man, good job!
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice work, very unique, and looks well put together.

To pick a couple of nits:

The deep treble cutaway doesn't really serve a function, though. Perhaps this would have been a good bass for an extended fingerboard?

The tuners oriented around the headstock have an intersting look. I personally like a more standard orientation with all of them facing the same way.

It looks like your bass would be comfortable to play sitting or standing. There looks to be a good right forearm rest, with that body shape, which I always need in a bass. It has a bit of a Tobias vibe to it. Hope you'll keep at it!

8. the fretboaqrd looks really clean and shiny.
  9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Very nice design. Looks to be well executed as well. Congratulations!
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Great job...

Yeah I agree with what Larry said... The B string and G string tuners are a little awkward (IMO). Could they have been moved to farther apart to contribute to straight pull a little more?

With such a great cutaway and such high access... I bet nearly 3 octaves could have been achieved. Is it too late to add a 'removable' extension to the bottom of the FB?
  11. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    As others have said, this appears to be a great improvement over previous projects. Congratulations on keeping at it and learning as you go. I really like this shape, it's distinctive without becoming too impractical. I'd play it :)

One suggestion might be to change the treatment of the end of the fingerboard as I've shown in this pic. Again as others have said, it kind of wastes the deep cutaway if there aren't notes there to access. :D Just an idea.
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah Tim, like that...
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    It looks Pretty good. The shape is Very odd but I think I like it!

Would you mind Posting How much it Cost? (In deatail if Possible) and How long it took to build?

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I like the tuner position, I don't really like the wood "colors" you chose but that's just me :). If you were to extend the FB like Tim Barber said that bass would be uber hot! I think I need to stop going on here because there's just way to much GAS.

**I can't type and/or spell
  15. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    It looks very nice and professionally crafted. Nice work!! Yup, Tim's got a good point with the fretboard extension. That would just ice the cake !!

I also appreciate the simplicity with the single pickup and what seems to be a straightforward preamp and bridge. I get frustrated over a bass with alot of mess. Heck, I sent back my new Warrior to be simplified !!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!!
  16. Very good commentary. Thanks for the input. I get better with each bass I make. This one sold for $1200 and is going to Souel Korea. I don't make much on them yet and don't plan to until they are perfect. I agree that I should have spaced the B and C out more. I also wish I had done a more uniform look to the fingerboard to follow the lines of the stretched body. The body is great in that it counterbalances the weight of the neck. It hangs very nicely on the neck. I'll continue to get better with time and sooner or later I might make a great bass.
  17. Here's a picture of the back. The battery box is crooked in this picture but has been adjusted.

18. One more thing. The side horn is skinny but it is made of hard maple and aged walnut. It's not going anywhere.