New 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Dec 11, 2003.

1. I have been looking for a 6 string but i have no idea where to start. I have done some searches and nothing really that satisfied my needs. I'm looking for a bass less than $650. The bass is going to be mostly for finger style with the occaisional slap. I play mostly rock but also some funk and jazz. The four basses i have looked at are Ibanez BTB406, Toby Pro 6, Dean(not exactly sure what model) 6, and Yamaha Rbx6JM. I have heard all good things about these basses except the Yamaha. But i played the yamaha and thought it was good for what i was looking for. Please any advice is great

2. i have a Toby Pro 5 and am extremely happy with it. slap a new preamp in there, and you'll be unstoppable.
  3. by the way...If you have any sound clips of these basses or another bass that is recommended could you please post them or email them to me

4. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I used to own the Yamaha John Myung sig. bass. I'd have to say for the price it wasn't bad.

You have to remember who this bass is made for, however. JM doesnt really do any slap at all, and i could never quite dial in a great slap tone for it. But for darker to medium fingerstyle tones....mmm. It also has a really small next for a 6 IMO, so thatd make the transition to 6 a little easier.

Haven't played the others though. In my experience most deans are nicer than people crack em up to be. Seems like they just need to work on their quality control. some of them rock, some just suck.

Hope this helps!
  5. thanks for the input anyone else have anything to say?
  6. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    BTB's rule! I've got a 405, and while it's a heavy SOB, it sounds awesome. I played a Dean 6 couple of days ago (like $760 Canadian) and it sounded, played and felt pretty bad. Strings were floppy, not nearly as nice as the 405. Plus, the EQ was lacking (I'm not sure it was an EQ...). In short, get the BTB. After you get used to the 35' scale, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.:)

7. I found a Peavey Grind NTB 6 at my local store for $387. It's real nice.

The basses you listed are all really different. The BTB has wider string spacing which should be good for slap. I've played the 5 string (today in fact) and it sounded real sweet.

There is also a Toby Pro 5 at the same store, and it looks unbelievable. But, from what I've read here, the output is weak on those, so just like SwilsonR said, you'll probably need a preamp in that one.

I like a lot of Dean basses, but their six just doesn't do it for me. The string spacing is real tight, and the B was kinda floppy.

I like neck thru basses myself, but I would recomend the BTB. You also might want to check out the Grind. Be sure to see it and play it in person though, as the quality has been inconsistant with those. And also, if you're willing to go another $50 on your limit, check out the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 string. Those are killer basses! I've been battling some serious GAS for that bass!

have fun hunting, let us know what you get.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There was a used BTB 6 at for what you were looking to spend.
  10. funkyfraz

Dec 14, 2003
    these are well cheap, and action is superb. i tad cheap on the build wuality, but still great for the cash
  11. Ive ordered the BTB406QM £429 not sure how much that is in dollars but there real nice basses. not to tight string spacing 35" scale so the tension is nice and tight was a while ago since i played one tho bout a year cant wait till i get mine tho :bassist:
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could certainly find a used Carvin LB76 or BB76 in that price range too. I oughta know, I just sold one for less than that. You might also find a used Peavey Cirrus 6 for that $$, if you're lucky.
  13. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd prefer to keep it under. WAY UNDER IF I CAN. But like people have been saying, the schecter is good and the Ibanez. A BTB1006EOL just went for $750 online, which would have been worth the extra cash, i think, but I just couldn't justify buying it. So I'm turning to other things to buy. $699 for a schecter or finding something cool used and perhaps modifying it to my liking.
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'd just like to add that the BTB is incredibly growly, and it sounds GREAT for rock. I'm just hoping to get a lighter bass, and w/ tighter string spacing: I tried a 16.5mm Warwick Streamer LX, and I was BLOWN AWAY! $1900CAD though...:bawl: