Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 6 String.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Cort Curbow 6

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Yamaha RBX6JM

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Ibanez BTB406

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Hi there.

i´m working this summer to buy a 6 stringer.

My options are :

1 - Cort Curbow 6
    2 - Yamaha RBXJM
    3 - Ibanez BTB406QM 6

I have a friend in a music store..that gives me a great deal for the Cort Curbow 6 (490 €). But i can´t play it without buying it, but i´m willing to risk. I love the visual of the bass. the bartolini seems nice to me, but i don´t know about the luthite. Could u guys help me?

The Yamaha, i´ve played the bass , i liked it. Myung is the master, great string spacing , great fingerboard (ebony), nice b string...BUT..the bass is being "discarded" from the yamaha line, because of the new RBXJM2 , that´s being created by now, and i´m sure that the new one will be a high priced bass.

The ibanez, isn´t my cup of tea, i tend to dislike ibanez, but it isn´t that bad..but..i don´t know.

By now Cort is on the lead in my decision.

Please tell me what do you think of my choices.

DT

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd go with the BTB of the ones you mentioned, though the Cort Curbow is no slouch. Actually, play both, if you can, and see which one you like better. Both are excellent deals.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the Yamaha JM model at all. But my biggest gripe is the extremely narrow string spacing. I don't care for the tone either, and it is too heavy.

If you like the spacing and the tone, it may be the six for you.

The Cort Curbow is a very nice 6, and for that price, it would be my pick from those three. It has medium narrow spacing, but not as narrow as the Yamaha. IMHO it has much better tone, too. And it is considerably lighter than the JM's I have played. The only negative about the Curbow is the fact that it is pretty difficult to play sitting down without a strap, due to the body shape.

The BTB is one of Ibanez' better lines. The 400 series is the lowest end of that line, but they are decent basses. They have pretty wide string spacing, if this is a problem for you, then the BTB might not be right for you.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good call, Jeff.

Though they are supposed to have new Bart designed pups and pre-amp now, if I'm not mistaken. Then again, the Curbow already does, so take that.

I think I'd be torn between the two. Personal preference, really.

5. i have preety big hands, but i tend to like narrow string spacings, but yes , the yamaha is reaaaly narrow.

You say Cort has a much better tone than the yamaha? Does Luthite affects it ?

Thanks for the replys

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope. Better electronics, IMHO. I think the JM model is stock Yamaha stuff, while the Curbow guts and pups were designed by Bill Bartolini.

7. yeah. Bartolini is great...

But what do you think about Luthite?

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Luthite is fine if you're okay with the tone. I can deal with the tone. Sounds just as good as a wood to me. Cort uses a different mixture of luthite than the Ibanez luthite basses. This new mixture apparently resulted in a different tone and better durability.

I'm down with the C.Curbow out of the 3 you have for the poll.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't care one way or the other. It's supposed to sound like maple. It sounds like a bass to me.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends on the mixture. I'm not a fan of the way that Ibanez EDB and EDC basses sound, and they are also heavy. The EDA sounds pretty good. The Curbow sounds nice, and is nice and light.

11. i´ve played ibanez EDB , and i didn´t loved the sound, i hope the "mixture" in the cort. is better.

By now : Thumbs up for the Cort

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm not much for the myung. i've played 6 or 7 and none of them sounded that good to me, including a few that were at yamaha booths at namm shows, which you would assume were setup to be the best they could be. i actually liked the string spacing on the bass, and i didn't really notice the weight too much (all my 7's weigh between 10-15 pounds so it didn't seem like anything to me - shoot, my one 8 string weighs over 16). my only gripe was the actual sound of the instrument, which was really bad, imo, on every one i played.

13. could you narrow down what was wrong with the sound IYO?

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The JM's I played just had a very unremarkable sound.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sure. i felt it was dull and thuddy, with little to no articulation or color. i couldn't get the plucky mids that i like out of it. i also thought the low b was very weak on every one i tried. sounded like a mediocre p-bass to me. incidentally, that's the same gripe i've had with his live and recorded sound since he stopped playing the tung and tobias.

just my opinion.

the bass that i played in the song in my sig has the tone that i like out of a fretted bass - the eq on the recording is pretty flat, except for a fairly narrow band boost around 1.8 - 2.0 kHz of around 3 dbs and a medium band boost of about 2 dbs at around 100 hz. granted, rig has a lot to do with tone, and mine is pretty unique (aluminum cone 4x12" guitar cabs and pa subs) but my bass sounds pretty close to this unplugged, acoustically. unplugged and acoustically, i couldn't get 1/10th the "pluck" outta the myung that i can out of my basses. that's one of the first considerations for me for trying out a bass - how does it sound acoustically? i should be able to hear a definite pluck without it plugged in - pickups, preamps or effects aren't going to be able to put something there that isn't there to start with. pluck and low b performance edits out of the picture 80-90% of the basses that i pick up, but that's just me.

16. I understand your opinion John Turner

Some people told me that the natural sound of the cort is an Hi-fi sound, what does that really mean?

I know that the Cort isn´t very confortable for playing sit down, but i like playing on my feet :)

I hope i can reach my decision with you guys .. thks

DT

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably that it sounds fuller at the frequency extremes - high and low have more presence in the mix.

is there any reason why you are limiting your choices to those three basses? i guess that's all that's available where you live?

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JT, unlike SOME people coughcoughyoucoughcough not all of use have a lot of money to spend on a bass. And 6ers are usually pretty expensive. So it's pretty much a budget thread we have here.

19. yes i´m budget limited (as i said i´m working this summer to buy a new bass , my current one is a Yamaha BBN4 ).

These are the basses in within my budget limit , and here in portugal we don´t have many music stores, so....

thks for the help.

I guess The Cort is on it´s way :)

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? oh, and what's the conversion rate for euro to american dollar ? :D