1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW '75 MIJ PJ re-issue OR Fender Aerodyne ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BK bassist, Jun 12, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey TB'ers ....

I could use some advice on picking the next bass ...I know it's all subjective but I wanted to get some insight as to what others who might have one or both of these think.... I've never owned a P bass or a P/J. Jazz basses have always been my "go to" when it comes to Fender but now I'd like to have one in the arsenal.

I have my eye on both these basses but can only afford one at the moment.

A (NEW) 1975 MIJ CAR P/J Reissue that the seller is looking to sell for around $1,050 - I understand that these are somewhat rare as only a handful where imported, I'm not buying it with the intent of reselling it but, you never know :)

or

A (NEW) Fender Aerodyne P/J that's somewhere in the price range of about $800-$850 ... The reviews I've read on this bass have all been excellent and she's a real beauty too.

Which would you pick and why?

Thanks for the help ....

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Japanese Fenders are getting more and more expensive but 800 is still too much for an aerodyne. They're not that rare yet. I haven't played the other one so I can't comment on it but I'm sure it's as good as MIJ tends to be.

Edit, I see you're talking new prices

3. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I didn't mean to infer the Aerodyne was rare as it's not, every major online retailer carries them. It's the '75 Re-issue that's more of a rarity. I'm leaning towards the '75 but I was hoping some of the community here can give me insight as to their likes / dislikes on both basses.

I'm usually impulsive and since cash is especially tight these days, I want to get the best bang for the buck.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No I thought you were talking about an $800 used aerodyne. That 75 reissue is probably great. More standard Fender feel and looks. The Aerodyne is good but I don't like matching headstocks unless the whole neck is painted. I've also heard complaints about the stock pickups but I tend to thing a good setup and strings make more of a difference than new pickups.

BK bassist likes this.
  5. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the feedback.