New ABG Idea: Worth Trying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JES, Oct 9, 2005.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

So I have this weird idea in my head, and I'd love some feedback on it. Sorry for the long post.

Like everyone else, I'd like to get an ABG that's actually loud enough to be heard acoustically with other instruments. I'm looking for more twang than depth (otherwise, I should just get an upright, right?) so one option is a resonator bass of some kind, since those are pretty well reviewed.

But I long ago noticed that my Modulus Bassstar is louder acoustically than any other electric bass that I've played, except for other Modulii. It's *almost* as loud as some ABGs I've played. Now, I can only imagine that the main difference is that hollow D-shaped neck on a Modulus. I also know that Subway guitars bought a surplus of those necks some time ago and it might be possible to purchase one without a bass attached.

Sooo . . . my question is: what would happen if you put a Modulus neck on an ABG? Might this help? And is there such a thing as a 34" bolt-on ABG? Or does anyone know of a luthier who -- under normal circumstances makes good ABGs -- who might be willing to undertake such an experiment (for a fee, naturally)? Do you think it would be worth the extra money and trouble?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why not make a bass ENTIRELY out of graphite?
  3. JES

JES Supporting Member

That would be awesome, except that you'd need someone to build a mold, and for one bass, that's probably prohibatively expensive. Rainsong used to make graphite basses, though the few reports I can find about them online say that they weren't particularly loud.

OTOH, if anyone knows of a luthier who's interested in making an all-graphite ABG, let me know. Rainsong stopped production a few years ago and has no plans to resume.

4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    An all graphite ABG would probably have a digustingly dead tone. Probably.

5. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    I think the Tacoma Thunderchief is a bolt-on.
  6. Not according to RainSong Graphite Guitars. Au contraire, they claim that "[p]ure carbon tone is an utterly unique sound. It is clear, rich and resonant, similar to a piano, with a treble that rings with crystalline clarity and a bass that is warm without being muddy. And, because of Projection Tuned Layering's uniform stiffness, the RainSong acoustic sound is impeccably balanced and very, VERY loud." But then again, they would say that, since they make acoustic guitars - but not basses, at least not any more - entirely out of graphite. Visit their site if you want to know more.