Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New ABM500 EVO II Made in China?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankie Fender, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Just received a new ABM500 EVO II, the box said "engineered and designed by ashdown" Hmmm. The back of the amp says "manufactured by Ashdown" conspicuously missing was the phrase "manufactured in England" like the previous models I have seen on the web. I could not find country of manufacture listed anywhere on the amp or packing materials. Upon closer inspection I found a label of the box manufacturer symbol and it was something like kang pai box Co.

Just where are these new ABMs coming from? I don't mind paying a premium price for a quality made product, and I thought I was paying for an amp made in England not just designed and engineered there. if that is the case, I should just save the $770 and buy a ....Behringer!

2. what difference does it make what country it's from? Ashdown ABM's are AWESOME products, and you can not compare them to Behringer at all even if they are made in China

3. And I suppose you will say that SWR product quality didn't suffer when their manufacturing operations moved south. (pun intended) Also you are basing your quality assumptions on a product line that was, up to this point, made in England. I am not willing to gamble on these new ones just yet.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What does Ashdown say when you ask them?

5. I have emailed them and am awaiting a response. I will post it when I receive it.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The new ABM 500 EVO II's are indeed made in England.if you have any ?'s in regards to any of the Ashdown gear you can contact Mike Vantine (of Ashdown)at 973-335-7888 or
    mike@musicaldistributors.com

7. wow, I got worried there for a second lol.

If its gonna be made in China, then i'd rather pay a China price, you know?

Glad to hear its still in England, I was thinking of getting one.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I've been using Ashdown since the start of the company and I feel they offer a top notch product,but it's not for everyone.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The ABM's are put together (and therfore made)in England but using boards and components made in China
    I was told this by Chris at the Bass centre in Lonodn and if anyone knows it should be him.
    Hope this clears things up.

Dave.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have sent Ashdown 3 emails in the past month via their website and not got one reply (in fact over the last couple of years i have hardly recieved any replies to my questions)
    I havent tried Mike direct though.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Some of Ashdown's lower end models do use boards that are made in China and again I have been with Ashdown from day one of it's inception and the product that was in ? is the(new)ABM 500 EVO II and if one wants more info on what model amp,cab etc that has been made in or have boards that are made in China contact Mike Vantine(I have included his contact info in a previous post in this thread)and he will gladly fill those interested in.and if it was made in China it's kool with me,I have yet to have a problem with the Ashdown gear I use whether it was made in china or have parts that may have been made in china.and here's another contact for those who may have a ? for Ashdown.Martin Burrows is one of Ashdowns Tech gurus

Martin Burrows martin@ashdownmusic.co.uk

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You must know a lot of intimate details about SWR's fabrication to be able to make the assertation that simply changing geographical location had everything to do with the change in SWR's quality control process. I'd love to hear some of them.

Trace Elliot almost went under because they refused to build outside of England. Ashdown was definitely a silver lining in that whole debacle, but honestly I'd have preferred that Trace were still around this whole time.

Assuming that the quality of the amp doesn't suffer, I'd much rather see Chinese manufacturing with English quality control (similar to what Lakland does with their Skylines) than to see another great company fall to Fender or Gibson.

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It depends on the quality control and cost cutting involved, I have one little amp, I won't mention the brand and start a flame fest, made overseas and it's a POS. I have a Eden Nemesis made in china under strict quality control and it's great, but it's not priced like the American stuff either. Nemesis silver series doesn't impess me though.

I knew Fender moved SWR Cabs down south, does anyone know about the amps?

14. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    If you only payed $770 thats a pretty good deal. I only got the salesman to knock off $60 to $840 for my ABM500 EVOII.

I just bought it last night and the box has MADE IN ENGLAND printed on it and the serial is xxxxxx-11-04 so I'm guessing it was made a little over a year ago.

15. $900 new ABM500
    -$230 Behringer BX4500H

16. Boy you sure read a whole lot into that one sentence!

SWR used to be a small company that manufactured their products in Sylmar and then Sun Valley CA. You could call them and speak to an employee anytime, they had great service. Their workingmans line was a great value and helped build a good reputation.

Maybe a lot more was involved in the sale of the company to Fender than just moving the geographic location of production, that I will concede. But the point is that since Fender took over and moved the process to Mexico, their have been a lot of bad reviews from owners of their products, especially the workingman's line (which has been discontinued). This is not first-hand experience on my part, but a majority of reviews by owners who complain of reliabilty issues. On the Fender forum I remember reading of the speaker cones separating in the 12 pack shortly after Fender took over.

Most people will agree that pre-fender SWR is generally a better product, and is more desireable. My opinion is that there is a difference in an amp made in England compared to China (for the sake of argument) because of the skill of the workforce and the experience and pride in what they do. They also pay higher wages so one expects to pay a higher price and usually gets what one pays for. A lot of the Chinese made lower end ashdowns are POS. Same thing with the Behringers - quality issues. Look it up.

Read the reviews. In my research I have come to the opinion that American made and british made are still superior in this regard. There are a lot less QC issues than from the far east. That may change some day, but for now it is the rule I go by.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    For further reading, IvanMike's contribution to the sizeable SWR thread going on currently sums it up nicely.

My point was that Ashdown being assembled in China in and of itself isn't really cause for anyone accusing them of Behringer levels of design issues and quality control problems (though in fairness, the Behringer patch bay and headphone amp I have are both solid). I'm sure you were waxing hyperbolic there but it's not as though Ashdown's gear has taken a dump lately. If they're turning out that level of quality while doing final assembly in China.. more power to them.

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yep, i was talking about the EVOII. i only got mine early dec last year so it is a very up to date unit
    I have no problem with where its made either, as long as it works. and its still Ashdown at the end of the day.

19. Martin Burrows [martin@ashdownmusic.co.uk] is indeed a great resource and a credit to his company. He got back to me in less than two days! He assured me that while some parts are made in China, the ABM's are assembled in England. Well there you are. I am satisfied and relieved to hear that.:D

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.