NEW Acoustic 360/361

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goat1927, Nov 6, 2011.

1. goat1927

goat1927

Sep 17, 2010
    It is true, the Acoustic USA 360/361 is back and better than ever...

Since hearing the news of a new Acoustic USA line of products (just over a year ago), including the legendary Acoustic 360 (preamp) and 361 (speaker cabinet), there has been a lot of excitement among musicians and gearheads alike. After contacting and speaking with George Grexa of Acoustic USA (Greenville, PA), I decided to purchase both the 360 and 361. After driving out to Greenville to meet George and pick up my rig (number 3 off the line), I was 1,000% thrilled with my purchase. This rig is the best that I've ever played - period. The preamp has a warmth, punch, and growl (not to mention the classic vintage blue formica-colored panel scheme) that I've not heard from other amps. It has the versatility to dial up any tone you seek. The speaker cabinet is just as stellar, featuring a horn switch that will shake the socks off anyone in a 20-foot radius. We're not just talking about volume, we're talking tone. Stacked one on top of the other, the 360 and 361 are not only comparable to vintage units, they are superior. As if this were not enough, the rig comes standard with a footswitch box (growl/compression), as well as a user manual that details every knob, light, and jack (as well as some great recommended settings) - leaving no questions unanswered.

Having toured the country for the past 10 months while playing more than 50 shows with the nation's best Led Zeppelin tribute band, I have heard (more times than I can count): "Wow, is that an Acoustic?"; "Your rig sounds amazing; what is it?"; "That amp has a classic look and sound"; and of course, "Wow, I didn't know Acoustic was making new units; where can I get one?". It's no wonder that Flea (of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) purchased 12 rigs!

If you have any questions about the rig, George (he's a great guy), or anything related, please feel free to contact me. If you're serious about your sound and just aren't happy with your current rig, call George and ask him if you can try oout one of the units. He'll say yes, you'll be FLOORED, and you'll want one.

To learn about the new Acoustic USA product line, click here - it's a great site.

M

2. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    Although this was an advertisement... right "Goat"? ;) It's great to see these amps being built again.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's not "back".
    This is a ground up redesign of the 360/361

IMHO It is probably better in many ways.

I don't expect to ever find them in stores, and the online shop still isn't up.
    Kind if indicates these are built boutique style - one by one.

4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I love how we get these "drinking the kool-aid" advertisement posts once every few months.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I played one of the new Acoustic 360/361 rigs ... it was outstanding ... it was everything the op said it was ...

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Decades ago the amplifier was great ...... for its time. There are so many other, better options available today that IMO the things will just remain a curiosity for most of us. I certainly have zero interest in owning one.

7. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    Looks sweet, I'm still not selling my 370/301 to get one

8. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    What's wrong with him posting about his own first-hand experience with the product line?

9. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Because the OP reeks of spammy ad copy.

10. goat1927

goat1927

Sep 17, 2010
    All,

Just FYI: my post was not an advertisement; I had meant to write something for others to read (months ago), based on the lack of a firsthand account back when I was researching this gear and could not seem to find the information that I, as an interested player, would want to know before investing in a purchase like this.

I hope that everyone can recognize that my post as perhaps an effort to share my research with the TB community, as TB has led me to helpful information and leads on gear. Had I known that I'd be sarcastically outed by cynics as "reeking of spammy ad copy" and as a "kool aid bartender" within 30 minutes of posting, I'd have kept my opinion to myself and let everyone else do their own research. Other than having purchased a rig that I love from Acoustic USA, I am not involved with the company at all; I'm a customer who happens to have a very positive opinion of a piece of gear.

M

11. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    I truly apologize, Goat... It just looked like an add to me and I was the first to call it out. My mistake, buddy. Like I said earlier I love the early gear and have a great 106-215 cab that I'm using today... Very glad to see things back up and running... Sorry to get the bad blood flowing.

12. goat1927

goat1927

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks, hulchihulch. I appreciate that.

M

13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

This seems to happen ANY time the new Acoustic USA comes up. :rolleyes:
    Yet the budget GC house brand "Acoustic" gets defended.....I don't understand??:rollno:

14. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I love Acoustic. I've used it for many years. The problem is, is that there have been several "Acoustic USA is the bomb" posts from members with only 1 or 2 other posts and they all read like a scripted advertisement. This is the only brand that I have seen these kind of posts from on a consistent basis. Plus, Acoustic USA's actions on the board has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

This criticism is coming from someone who spent a lot of time on the Acoustic forums and followed the creation of the new USA models very closely. I will certainly buy one when I have that kind of money to spend.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Definitely some Stepford Wives vibe attached to these amps. Weirds me out.

Not criticizing the gear, just agreeing with the above post.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    The old one is very dated ... the new one sounds a LOT better ..

I still prefer my Ampeg ...

17. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Anyone know if they're releasing a 370 (although an updated one)? Also whats the cost of this 301 360 setup you bought...

18. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    This exactly. Every so often, we have someone coming on and touting these things as the next coming of the Messiah, oftentimes using similar adjectives to each other and writing very long, very scripted-seeming diatribes.

And it doesn't help that we've had a lot of diatribes from the company and people associated with it on these boards in which they talk down to members and try to drum up hype while repeating the same facts over and over again ("We have the original designers on board!" "Flea just bought a dozen"!) It just left a nasty first impression, which, when combined with the "Stepford Wives" reviews triggers all kinds of skeptical bones in my body.

Maybe these things are the Rickenbackers of amps? :D They're not for me anyway, I couldn't get a 175-lb. rig on a subway.

I'm not bashing the gear. I'm just not thrilled with the way these have been represented, and the way that the company has conducted itself on here.

19. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    looks nice, but at 5G it wouldn't come close to the top of my list.
    maybe at 500$.
    that's just a dumb price... c'mon.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    People who have the money never let the price slow them down from buying something of quality if it suits them.

And on TB, we consider any positive threads advertisements ;) Some folks don't take too kindly to it, for some reason. Me, I believe that some folks actually may like the stuff they write about with no ulterior motive.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021