1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Acoustic Bass guitar the Shortbass One! Small, LOUD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scotch, Mar 20, 2013.

1. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Approx. 24" scale. NO amplification in this clip! Can your abg do that? ;)

Proprietary synthetic strings. Ridiculous volume & the tone is promising! I'll post a review when I get one in my hands. The owner of Aquila Strings in Italy is developing these for the market. No word on pricing or availability yet (sorry), but I should have a prototype to review shortly. (I've become friends with the maker after using his strings on my U-Bass. I have no financial interest in the company or affiliation- I'm just putting this amazing teaser out there to frustrate you all! ;))

This is the 24" (60cm) model. Longer scales and other features are in development. I'm so excited to try this thing!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Wow! I suspect the room's acoustic properties were involved, but still, that's mighty impressive. I'm looking forward to updates on this.

I don't have an ABG but I do have an acoustic that can do that. But its scale length is 42"... ;)

3. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I'm fortunate to have an upright as well! Cannot wait to get this side to side with my upright, Epiphone El Capitan (pretty loud for an ABG) and acoustic U-Bass.

4. Color me interested! :D

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Not to diss my Ubass, but if the Shortbass can hold up to even an acoustic guitar or two, it's going to dominate the market for acoustic bass instruments. Assuming it's relatively affordable.

Kala Knut likes this.
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    If that clip is not enhanced this could be the acoustic bass everyone has been dreaming about.

7. iovar

iovar

May 7, 2011
    Chania, Crete
    Well, if the mic is with the camera, then the ukeleles are mostly pointed away, while the bass has its soundhole pointed towards it (more or less). Depending on the mic type, this could make a world of difference.

There is also this clip:
    where there is a comparison to an ABG, and the shortbass seems to be quite a bit louder, but the clip is too short and roughly made to get a clear estimate of relative volume. Also the ABG has steels(or nickels can't tell) on it which is sub optimal for acoustic volume.

It'd be interesting to have some comparison of this shortbass and a well known for its loudness ABG, using the same relative positioning to the mic and having a clear view of the players right hand, in order to get an idea of the dynamics used.

8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmmm.... in the second video it really didn't seem to sound that much louder than the acoustic and it looked like the acoustic was being played more softly than the smaller basses. Also the camera was practically in the soundhole, so it's kinda hard from that to tell what it will really sound like.
    In any case I'm sure it will be a great product. I'll have to hear one in person though.

9. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I'll have a video comparing the Shortbass to a U-Bass, an El Capitan ABG (quite loud for an ABG) and my 3/4 Double Bass. As objective as possible- probably me sitting on a stool switching the instruments in one take.

Will no more when I take delivery of the Shortbass!

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Website? Or too soon?

11. definitely a ton of room echo in that vid

12. .

13. I think even a pretty measly upright will still blow that thing away, especially in low-end projection. But as much as I love DB it's just not portable enough for what I do! For "acoustic" situations I've been considering switching to cello, or possibly U-bass and a small amp. This "shortbass" might be a viable option as well, provided it comes out within the next few months. Can't wait to see/hear your comparison!

ed morgan likes this.
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Subscribing. And I will be contributing as soon as possible, because I have one in hand.

More as soon as I can.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Some specs on the Shortbass-one Basic model:
    - Piezo pickup
    - 23.6 inch scale
    - Truss rod
    - Top is cedar, sides and back are sapele
    - Strings are the new Reds
    - Padded gig bag
    - 2 strap pins - one at the bottom, one at the heel

[​IMG]

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Subscribed.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Here's a first recording with the Shortbass.

Only listen to the clip if you promise to not make fun of
    my playing. :) My recording setup is terrible, and I
    actually can't hear myself when I'm recording.

Ok, here is a first test.
    It was recorded Direct. No effects, DIs, or EQ altering.

Attached Files:

18. Impressive! Definitely has a lot of volume and presence, which is amazing considering its size :bassist:

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I, too, am impressed. Considering how I recorded it - with junk equipment, with no preamp, I think the bass tone is extremely solid. Somebody who knows what they're doing :) with recording will knock it out of the park with this bass.

20. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good to hear. I know you've tried out a few other small acoustics, so your opinion counts for a lot!