new acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fil, Dec 18, 2005.

1. fil

Dec 18, 2005
    hello everybody, i'm brand new here, and i have a question which will probably asked more then a few times.

i wanna buy myself a new bassguitar,
    why acoustic: i had bought a electric bass the yamaha rbx-270: which played very well but the electronics were a bit noise, so i sold it.

then i bought an acoustic bass because i like the sound of an acoustic instrument much more then an electric; and also it's very easy and practical : just pick it up and play. But it was a cheap bass: still i had some good remaks on the internet, i has a good tone and loud, the pickup (semi-acoustic) is very good. BUT: there a few things which bother me. : it's big, well big is not the word: its very big, and the playability isn't that good: i have sand off the bridge a bit, so that the string gets lower, and the action is a bit less. so it plays easier, but still it is to big, that's the bigest problem.

so i'm looking for a new guitar
    so here is my list for a new bass guitar
    2)small body
    3)very fine platability
    4)very fine tune
    5)it may not weight much

i don't mind that it doesn't go loud, not at all, if i'm practising i'm alone, and on stage i use an amp. but we don't play loud.

i know i ask a lot, i have looked at a wahsburn ab10, but does anyone else has something in mind ?
    i live in europe so maybe not all brands are easy to get here.
    at max i wanna pay 600 dollar, new or used.

ps: what would you buy for strings on a acoustic bass to improve playability ?
    thanx a lot guys
    greetings fil
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Check for a Godin Hollowbody. A4 iirc. They get really good reviews.
  3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Crafter BA400 Eq, i've got one, its got quite a thin body compared to some i've played. The overall body size is the same as a regular dreadnough guitar with a single cutaway. It has a pretty damn fine preamp in it and piezo bridge p/up. I got mine set up from the shop as the factory setup... well there ain't one ;)

I'd recommend you give one a bash sometime.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the Godin A4. They can be had for under $600 used. Great plugged-in tone, comfortable Jazz-bass-like neck, small body -- about the same as a regular electric bass, low action, great construction. They have a L.R. Baggs preamp built-in which offers a lot of flexibility in shaping the tone. The unplugged volume is OK for solo practice, but it has to be plugged in to play live.

I love my Godin A4 fretless. It's a great bass.

Attached Files:

5. fil

Dec 18, 2005
    indeed a godin does propably everything it needs, but the problem is that i live in europe so those things are rather expensive here, even second hand they are out of my budget. not so many people sell these things second hand: 1) they are expensive, and 2) they are very good,
    so if you see them here second hand they are around 950 dollar, new they are 1500 dollar. so, that's a bit to pricey.

i looked at het crafter:it's a very nice and good priced bass, but mabe to big for me, i'm gonna try to play on one. but if i find smaller then i'll cerntainly will buy the other one.
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might try ebay . . . international shipping can't be that much.

Here's one that will sell soon, probably for $400-500:
    Godin bass

There's an A5 (5-string model) on the 'bay right now, too for $600 -- the seller says he might be willing to ship internationally.