1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fil, Dec 18, 2005.

1. fil

fil

Dec 18, 2005
    hello everybody, i'm brand new here, and i have a question which will probably asked more then a few times.

i wanna buy myself a new bassguitar,
    why acoustic: i had bought a electric bass the yamaha rbx-270: which played very well but the electronics were a bit noise, so i sold it.

then i bought an acoustic bass because i like the sound of an acoustic instrument much more then an electric; and also it's very easy and practical : just pick it up and play. But it was a cheap bass: still i had some good remaks on the internet, i has a good tone and loud, the pickup (semi-acoustic) is very good. BUT: there a few things which bother me. : it's big, well big is not the word: its very big, and the playability isn't that good: i have sand off the bridge a bit, so that the string gets lower, and the action is a bit less. so it plays easier, but still it is to big, that's the bigest problem.

so i'm looking for a new guitar
    so here is my list for a new bass guitar
    1)semi-acoustic
    2)small body
    3)very fine platability
    4)very fine tune
    5)it may not weight much

i don't mind that it doesn't go loud, not at all, if i'm practising i'm alone, and on stage i use an amp. but we don't play loud.

i know i ask a lot, i have looked at a wahsburn ab10, but does anyone else has something in mind ?
    i live in europe so maybe not all brands are easy to get here.
    at max i wanna pay 600 dollar, new or used.

ps: what would you buy for strings on a acoustic bass to improve playability ?
    thanx a lot guys
    greetings fil

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Check for a Godin Hollowbody. A4 iirc. They get really good reviews.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Crafter BA400 Eq, i've got one, its got quite a thin body compared to some i've played. The overall body size is the same as a regular dreadnough guitar with a single cutaway. It has a pretty damn fine preamp in it and piezo bridge p/up. I got mine set up from the shop as the factory setup... well there ain't one ;)

I'd recommend you give one a bash sometime.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the Godin A4. They can be had for under $600 used. Great plugged-in tone, comfortable Jazz-bass-like neck, small body -- about the same as a regular electric bass, low action, great construction. They have a L.R. Baggs preamp built-in which offers a lot of flexibility in shaping the tone. The unplugged volume is OK for solo practice, but it has to be plugged in to play live.

I love my Godin A4 fretless. It's a great bass.

Attached Files:

5. fil

fil

Dec 18, 2005
    indeed a godin does propably everything it needs, but the problem is that i live in europe so those things are rather expensive here, even second hand they are out of my budget. not so many people sell these things second hand: 1) they are expensive, and 2) they are very good,
    so if you see them here second hand they are around 950 dollar, new they are 1500 dollar. so, that's a bit to pricey.

i looked at het crafter:it's a very nice and good priced bass, but mabe to big for me, i'm gonna try to play on one. but if i find smaller then i'll cerntainly will buy the other one.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might try ebay . . . international shipping can't be that much.

Here's one that will sell soon, probably for $400-500:
    Godin bass

There's an A5 (5-string model) on the 'bay right now, too for $600 -- the seller says he might be willing to ship internationally.