Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Acoustic Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Sep 7, 2002.

1. :cool: :D

I just bought my first (actually second) Acoustic Bass.

My first was an Olympia (by Tacoma), bought new. After owning it for a few days I exchanged it because 1) the case was a total disaster, and 2) the output jack was bad. I just can't abide problems like this in a new instrument. I don't want them fixed, I just want rid of them.

I exchanged it for a Tacoma ThunderChief CB10E4 (Fishman electronics). It cost about $350 more, but based what I saw with the two, I think it was probably worth it: better neck, finish, fit, wood, electronics, case, appearance, virtually everything.

Anyway. I'd like some advice on use, strings, amps, etc., from those of you who own this bass, or its various variants, based upon your experience.

For amps I own two heads: a Peavey Firebass II, Ampeg SVT-III; four cabs, all Ampeg Classics: 1x15 (2 each), 2x10, 4x10; and four combos: Ashdown Electric Blue 12, Ampeg B-100R, Fender BXR-25, Peavey Microbass.

I plan on using this bass for some Blue-Grass, Acoustic Country sets with my two bands.

So far, I've only used it with the Microbass amp. I don't really think I'll need either one of the heads and cabinets, but I could be wrong.

I can't say as I'm overly intrigued with the strings that came on it. Noisy, and way two treble sounding. Feel isn't that great either. I primarily use flats on my electric basses. I'm wondering about either the black nylon tape flats or possibly the nylon filament wounds made by Fender.

Any help that you experienced Tacoma players could provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sammy -

Congrats! Was it from the Arlington Heights GC, by chance?

Yeah, those Elixirs suck, don't they? I switched over to a set of Labella black nylon tapewounds the first week, and have been very happy. (Carvin has them cheap.)

Have fun! These are killer basses...

3. HD: No I got from Oklahoma Vintage Guitar. Arlington Heights GC wanted about $200 more than what I paid for this one. And that particular GC really gets on my nerves at times. Ocassionally they want to help. But all to often, if you want any help it seems like they really don't want to be bothered.

Come on guys! I know there are more ThunderChief owners out there with some info and experience on this bass. How about sharing it.

Thanks.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally love the Elixers on my Tacoma. I guess it depends on your technique or what you're after, but they are perfect as far as I'm concerned.

And I like the sound through my pre-Gibson Trace Elliot Boxer 30. Not sure what else you're after. Great bass.

5. I'm simply trying to get some ideas of what other players of this bass are doing with it. What styles, how played, what amps, what strings, etc.

Just trying to get some ideas to help me along in my knowledge and use of my new toy. It's the first ABG that I've ever owned and I'd like to get a jump start on using it.

Thanks. ;)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    We do acoustic rock stuff (mostly Goo Goo Dolls and Collective Soul, who my guitarist likes lots) and are strting to venture into some Celtic influenced trad and folk...

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    congrats.. I don't really have a need for an acoustic bass.. but if i ever do. i've always said I was going to grab a tacoma thunderchief

8. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I haven't performed with mine, yet. Mostly I use it for composing and for when I'm feeling the need to go cordless. I kept having feedback problems when I amped it and just gave up instead of trying to understand it, but that's on my to-do list.

Mine is a CB10, but I don't know what the E4 part of yours is about. I think CB10s can come with a variety of Fishman electronics. Mine has the Fishman" Prefix Plus."

I don't know what brand of Phosphor Bronze strings came on mine, but I did get a spare set which I haven't used yet.

I've had only two problems with my CB10. Whatever had been holding the wires in place popped loose and the wires buzzed annoyingly when they rested up against the sides. The only other problem is the sound hole. I want to pluck in areas where my hand ends up muting the bass.

All in all, I don't think you'll find a better bass for the money. Taylor makes very nice ones. . . for $2,000-$3,000 and available only with a padded, but FLIMSY & CHEAP, gig bag for protection!!! My CB10 sounds warmer and deeper than the Taylor AB1 I tried.

Good luck, and welcome to the AGB club.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    When you play plugged in and have feedback problems, diddle with the "Notch" knob. The feedbak will magically disapear, guaranteed. It's amazing how well it works.

The original Tacomas came with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings that were pretty nice. They currently install Elixer strings at the factory instead.

Sweet bass.