1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Acoustic Image 'DOUBLESHOT'

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, May 29, 2019.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Certified Gear Junkie, Amateur Adjunct Professor Supporting Member

I inadvertently got busted by Nogbert when he spotted something NEW in my messy office:

"Is that some new AI double upshot speaker i spy on the left? you mentioned a 2x10 cab in the works that was very portable"

Good eyes, Nogbert. That is the NEW Acoustic Image "DoubleShot".

It has 2 Neo 10-inch speakers as well as a 4 inch-mid/tweet in a sealed cab that weighs 15 pounds. No, that's not a typo. It's a 2-10 cab that weighs 15 pounds.

Rick Jones must have noticed that some of us are getting older. I used to have to carry a 30-pound cab (which WAS considered light) but now I have the option of cutting that weight in half and still have a 2-10 cab.

Rick mentioned they are 'rolling out' the new cab this weekend and it should be on their website by Sunday night, I believe.

He also mentioned there will be an introductory offer of $100 off the price.

I took the cab to a jam session last night. Rhythm section of Grand Piano (amplified), Bass and DRUMS. I had no trouble keeping up, even when we added four horns.

We demoed the DoubleShot at Ricks AI headquarters (including ABing against a very worthy 'competitor') and, as you would expect, it sounded great.

I told Rick that if he and others keep coming up with such great products someone is going to just have to shoot me. (My wife has already volunteered).

PS The two little rubber feet allow you to set the head on the speaker and it will stay in place.

PPS The picture of Rick Jones holding TWO DoubeShots begs the question: Is that a Quad-Shot?

IMG_20190529_110818053. IMG_20190529_110843340_BURST000_COVER_TOP. IMG_20190529_110857101. Rick Jones 1 jpeg.

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    So...how are you supposed to use this? facing which way? The amp feet are on the side so is it an upshot or a side shot, where does the mid speaker face...

longfinger likes this.
  3. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    Hope I didn't derail any plans with my eagle eyes ;)

do you know the MSRP/list price?

4. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    I would guess you would position it so the mid speaker is pointed at your head; you can imagine the two anti-parallel 10s projecting a sphere of sound so their positioning would be secondary to getting higher frequencies to the players' ears? just my guess though

rickwolff and MDrost1 like this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Maybe a pic showing a head mounted would be useful for those of us who can't picture how it would work :confused:

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Right. Because the feet make it look like it's shooting sound forward and back and also sort of sideways? Cool idea, just not getting the directional aspect of it yet.

RSBBass and BobKay like this.
  7. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    "How much more loud must I play? And the answer is: None...none more loud."

8. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I won’t read any more of these posts because I’m on a “gear fast”!
    Lol ..... BTW the Bird studies are coming along.
    Nice work Rick.

MDrost1 likes this.
  9. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    oh I see....Hey this is what I am talking about....way back at the beginning of the upshot thread I was saying that the user aesthetic, the ergonomic form/function of the upshot was off...where do you put the amp, awkwardness etc. I said I know Rick would think up some super intelligent solution, and this looks like what i was talking about, two side shots, a monitor and feet to rest the amp on (gravity works)...it isnt the same as the upshot but it seems way more usable. This one makes me curious how it sounds and where it sounds good and how it does in a lame room...
    Now is Rick gunna send one of THESE around for a trial? I'd get on that list....

10. rickwolff

Last night I had it just to the left and slightly ahead of me with the mid facing right at me. The 'back' 10 was facing the drummer, the 'front' 10 was facing the pianist and the house. As I mentioned, it was a loud band and I never got close to pushing it.

11. rickwolff

That's the one part of being a Gear Junkie I've tried to retire from. Shipping 'hither and you' was just a hastle.

I will check with Rick and see if he has any thoughts.

Otherwise Gollihurs 14 day trial might be a good option for you. I'm reckon Mark will be getting these soon.

nogbert likes this.
  12. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Oh no; and I haven’t even received my MAS 16 yet!

13. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    I wonder What kind of HP they could find to make a cab with 3 HP that weight only 15 pounds.
    A single Upshot with a 10 inch is 11 pounds.

14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    This looks great. I always have liked Rick, Paul, and their creations. I almost took a job with them right out of college. I would say this one looks like the feet should be on the side of one of the tens, so one faces down and one up with the mids facing forward.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  15. rickwolff

The Upshot speaker is not a Neo. The speakers in the Double shot are.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Zbysek likes this.
  16. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Rick - "the Upshot speaker is not a New." What is a New? Are the speakers in the Doubleshot different from the speaker in the Upshot? If so, in what way?

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed,
    It's a PITA and it takes time to properly set up recording to post examples of what it sounds like.
    Rick, Adam Booker and Chris Fitzgerald took a lot of time doing that with the Xlson and Acoustic Box Live it's much appreciated.

Bob,
    The Double Shot has two 10 " drivers and a 4" tweeter, that's very different from the Upshot, Based on the rubber feet, it fires to both sides, and since bass frequencies are omnidiredtional you would cover the stage
    with low and midrange frequency content while the tweeter fires forward. This cabinet has things in common with Duke LeJunes Birdhaus 4x6 but it's lighter and smaller. Rick always had something new ready for the ISB
    convention. Which is next week in Bloomington, Indiana.

18. rickwolff

Oops, my bad (typo), I meant to type (Neo, not 'new' and have corrected it now. Thanks.

19. rickwolff

Alain, the reply I intended for you I accidentally sent as a reply to Dave, instead.

The Upshot speaker is not a Neo. The speakers in the Double shot are. That's what accounts for the low weight.

Ric Vice likes this.
  20. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Fear not my friend, the MAS 1/6 is an amazing Double Bass Speaker. :)

Povl Carstensen, statsc and rickwolff like this.