1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Acquisition - Goodfellow Harlequin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modo74, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    Just picked this up off TradeMe (NZ equvalent of eBay) for NZ$1000 (approx US$750 at todays rates).

IMG_0165Large.jpg

IMG_0166Large.jpg

IMG_0169Large.jpg

IMG_0168Large.jpg

IMG_0167Large.jpg

According to the seller, he bought it off Bernie Goodfellow himself in London in the mid-eighties. Apparently only a few were made, to be part of a display for a Trade Show, hence the interesting finish (which is a laminate of exotic woods). No further info as to what those woods are, or what the core wood is. Its incredibly light though, and fantastically well constructed and balanced, and plays like a dream. I'm contemplating emailing via the GBguitars website to see if Bernie can provide any more info on it.

I'm a happy camper anyway!! :hyper::bassist:

2. I like it. What's the back look like?

3. I like the bass, but that design gives me a headache.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    :eek:

Enjoy.

Marshall

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    But it makes the women swoon! or rather, puts them in a trance.

6. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    The back is exactly the same as the front.

Thanks for the comments guys. The pictures don't really do it justice TBH, look a lot better "in person".

7. It's making me swoon, and I'm a woman, so I guess you're right. :D

8. FingeringAm

FingeringAm Inactive

Jun 28, 2008
    So Cal
    it feels like a mild acid trip

nice score

9. I've seen quite a few of Bernie's old "harlequin" basses, with that unusual marquetry veneer. Great instruments. You should contact Bernie at www.gbguitars.co.uk and let him know about it - he'll be chuffed to learn that there's one of his basses halfway around the world. :)

You should also talk to him about potentially getting hold of his upgraded electronics - they drop right in to his old models (same control cavity layout) and will make a world of difference to your tone.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Very interesting "faux carbon-fiber" kind of look. I dig it.

What's the large ring around the front knob? Any markings or anything on it?

11. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    Quite a few? Hmm, I was told that there weren't very many of these made. I'll have to look into that. Will also ask about the upgraded electronics as well - thanks for the heads up.

The big metal ring around the frontmost knob (its the pickup balance BTW) is just cosmetic I guess. It doesnt have any noticeable markings on it.

12. Well, there's certainly more than a few... I think Bernie didn't make all that many of them himself, but when he sold the Goodfellow brand to Lowden, they made a bunch of them (I remember Martin Petersen at The Gallery in London acquired a load of unused Lowden-era Goodfellow parts, including some unfinished marquetry bodies). Bernie can tell you more about it than I can, but that's about the size of it.

13. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I was going through a few of my old posts and thought I might update this.

To reply to Rusty, thats what I meant, only a few made by Bernie himself as this one was (did you think it was a Lowden?). Since posting this thread, I've had the neck off to check the serial no, which is 0029. A Goodfellow afficionado has confirmed that Bernie only made around 150 of these (total, in varying finishes) before selling the name to Lowden.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021